Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

On This Day: Rovers Secure Promotion With Victory Over Rivals

2 May 2018

Club News

On This Day: Rovers Secure Promotion With Victory Over Rivals

2 May 2018

No matter how many games we play on this date, there really is only one that Gasheads will always recall.

On this date in 1990 Rovers beat arch rivals City 3-0 at Twerton Park, in front of a crowd of 9,813, to clinch promotion to the Second Division.

The local press summed up the game as follows; ‘The team that Gerry Francis created, largely from players discarded by other league clubs or rescued from part time soccer, have brought Second Division football back to Bristol.

‘And they did so in a style few could have predicted, thrashing neighbours City on a night no Rovers follower will forget.

‘Two goals from Devon White, the striker built like a West Indian fast bowler, and just as lethal, plus a third penalty in four games by Ian Holloway settled the game inside little more than an hour.’

White’s first goal came on 25 minutes when Andy Llewellyn slipped, allowing him to score from David Mehew’s cross, while his second was created by Carl Saunders, who beat Rob Newman and crossed for him to beat Ronnie Sinclair from ten yards.

Holloway’s penalty came just after the hour mark when Llewellyn handled Phil Purnell’s shot on the line and ‘Ollie’ sent Sinclair the wrong way with his spot kick.'

Both sides had one game remaining and Rovers were two points ahead of City in the league standings. They had to win at Blackpool four days later, while City, at home to Walsall, had to hope for a favour from the Seasiders.

Both teams won their matches and Rovers were crowned champions.

The side that turned out for Rovers on the most dramatic evening of our ten-year stint at Twerton, was as follows; Parkin, Alexander, Twentyman, Yates, Jones, Mehew, Holloway, Reece, Purnell, White, Saunders.

Substitutes: Nixon, McClean


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account