Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


21 March 2017

Club News


21 March 2017

Rovers 3-2 Swindon Town

Rovers conceded early in the Central League encounter when Scott Twine headed Swindon ahead, but recovered well with goals from Lewis Ellington and Jermaine Easter, before James Brophy equalised for Swindon inside the final quarter of the game. Just as the fixture looked destined to end in a draw, youngster James Spruce calmly slotted home from inside the box to give Rovers a late victory in the Central League encounter at the Lawns.

Rovers named a squad that mixed several first-team players alongside academy prospects, with Joe Partington, Robert Harris, Jonny Burn and Jermaine Easter all starting the fixture.

The visitors broke the deadlock midway through the first half, as a ball into the area from the right from Ormonde-Ottewill pierced the Rovers defence and allowed Scott Twine the opportunity to head at goal unmarked, with the midfielder heading the ball into the ground and past Kieran Hodges to open the scoring.

Rovers created chances during the opening forty-five minutes, with Luke Russe coming close to testing Swindon 'keeper Will Henry when he cut inside from the left wing, but his shot from outside the area bounced narrowly past the post. Russe's chance was followed by a neat piece of skill on the edge of the area by Conor Jones, who skipped past his marker before shooting at goal, but Henry was equal to his driven shot.

Five minutes before half-time Rovers were able to bring the scores back level, as a surging run forward by Jermaine Easter concluded with the striker playing a pass across the box to Lewis Ellington and the young striker remained composed to fire a finish past Will Henry. 

After the restart, Robert Harris and Ryan Broom combined, as Harris' cross into the area picked out the winger who managed to dig out a shot on goal that looked like it may dip under the crossbar and required Will Henry to tip the ball behind for a corner.

Rovers took the lead minutes later as Jermaine Easter took advantage of a slack backpass to Will Henry, with the striker picking up the loose ball in the area and showing good composure to round Henry before slotting the ball into the empty net.

Academy trialist, Cameron Hargreaves, had the opportunity to extend Rovers advantage, as the midfielder was played through one-on-one with Will Henry but directed his shot past the post with the 'keeper rushing off his line to close down the angle.

With fifteen minutes to go Swindon equalised when Kieran Hodges fumbled a shot, with the rebound from the 'keeper falling fortunately to James Brophy, who tapped the ball home from close-range to bring the scores level.

In the final minute of the game, Tyrone Tucker-Dixon received the ball from Ryan Broom and did well to find James Spruce inside the box and the striker calmly slotted the ball home, scoring a last minute winner against Swindon in the Central League for the second time this season.

Rovers still have fixtures remaining against Exeter City and Bournemouth in this season's Central League campaign.

Rovers: Kieran Hodges (G), Joe Partington, Sam Hedges, Jonny Burn (61' James Spruce), Robert Harris, Ryan Broom, Cameron Hargreaves (Trialist), Conor Jones, Luke Russe, Lewis Ellington, Jermaine Easter (71' Tyrone Tucker-Dixon).

Substitutes: Liam Armstrong, Toby Rennie, Sam Iles, James Spruce, Tyrone Tucker-Dixon, Dam Lammiman.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account