Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 September 2016

Club News


27 September 2016

Sheffield United 1-0 Bristol Rovers

Attendance: 19,916 (833)

10-man Bristol Rovers lose 1-0 at Bramall Lane to Sheffield United

Substitute Harry Chapman's second half header was enough to secure all three points against Rovers who had Jermaine Easter sent off.

Darrell Clarke made three changes to the side that beat Port Vale on Saturday as Chelsea loanee Jake Clarke-Salter was handed his debut along with recalling James Clarke and Hiram Boateng to the starting 11.

Rovers started brightly hitting Sheffield United on the counter attack superbly inside the first five minutes resulting in Ollie Clarke curling an effort just wide of Simon Moore's right hand post.

Moments later, from a Rovers corner James Clarke and then Ollie Clarke attempted to fire shots goalwards but were closed down efficiently by a succession of Blades bodies.

As time went on, the home side grew into the game as skipper Billy Sharp was played through onto goal but Kelle Roos was quickly off his line, saving well with his feet.

Sheffield United began to dominate proceedings without really testing Kelle Roos in the Rovers goal as twice Billy Sharp got in promising positions but shot off target.

At the other end of the field, Rovers were hitting the home side on the counter attack well as Ellis Harrison played the ball into the path of Jermaine Easter who was fouled by Jack O'Connell. From the resulting free kick, Chris Lines curled a fantastic effort goalwards only to be denied by a brilliant save from Simon Moore.

Rovers withstood sustained pressure in the opening exchanges of the first half before having the best chance of the game to that point. Ellis Harrison received the ball onto his chest, holding off his man well before feeding the ball into the path of Jermaine Easter who could only drag his shot wide of the goal.

As time ticked past the hour mark, Sheffield United had their best chance of the game. Following a quickly taken free kick into the Rovers penalty area, Kelle Roos collided presenting substitute Harry Chapman with an open goal but the United man fired wide.

However, moments later Chapman would have the last laugh as he jumped highest to head home the games opening goal following a cross from Daniel Lafferty.

Things went from bad to worse for Darrell Clarke's side as Jermaine Easter was shown a straight red card by referee Christopher Sarginson following a late challenge on Jack O'Connell.

With just over 15 minutes remaining, Rovers made their final substitution as Luke James replaced Lee Brown as they attempted to snatch something from the game.

Rovers pressed and pressed without ever really challenging Simon Moore in the Blades goal as shots from Ollie Clarke and Chris Lines failed to test the keeper before Ellis Harrison headed into his hands.

As the fourth official held up his board indicating an additional five minutes of play, Rovers were awarded a corner where from a loose ball Ellis Harrison jumped well but his powerful header was cleared off the line by John Fleck.

Up next for Rovers is the trip to Sixfields to take on Northampton Town on Saturday.

Sheffield United: Moore; Freeman, Ebanks-Landell, O'Connell, Lafferty; Scougall (Champan - 54) , Coutts, Fleck, Duffy (Brown - 90+); Done, Sharp (C) (Lavery - 84).

Unused Substitutes: Hussey, Ramsdale, Whiteman, Brooks.

Rovers: Roos; Leadbitter, J. Clarke (Moore - 63), Lockyer (C), Clarke-Salter, Brown (James - 75); O. Clarke, Lines, Boateng (Bodin - 63); Harrison, Easter.

Unused Substitutes: Mildenhall (GK), Colkett, Montano, Gaffney.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account