Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 October 2016

Club News


18 October 2016

MK Dons 3-3 Bristol Rovers

Attendance: 8,366 (1,008)

Rovers come back from 3-1 down to snatch a point at MK Dons.

Three second half strikes from Matty Taylor secured Rovers a vital point at Stadium MK.

Darrell Clarke made five changes to the side that started Saturday's 2-1 win against Gillingham as Connor Roberts, Jake Clarke-Salter, Ollie Clarke, Billy Bodin and Ellis Harrison all came into the Rovers side at Stadium MK.

Rovers could and probably should have taken a really early lead as Billy Bodin found some space on the right hand side, attacked Dean Lewington before swinging a delightful cross into Ollie Clarke but the midfielder volleyed over the crossbar.

For all of their early pressure and possession it was Rovers who went behind after just 17 minutes as Ben Reeves tried his luck from long range, Kelle Roos spilled the ball into the path of Dean Bowditch who fired into an empty net.

Seconds later the Dons fired another warning shot as Ryan Colclough cut in from the left flank before firing a powerful shot goalwards but he was denied by the woodwork as the ball came crashing back off the crossbar.

Things went from bad to worse for Rovers with 23 minutes gone as the home side extended their lead thanks to George B Williams. Dons skipper Dean Lewington was allowed far to much space on the left hand side before picking out an arriving Williams at the far post who headed past Roos.

Darrell Clarke's side looked for a way back into the game before half time but efforts from Matty Taylor and then Billy Bodin failed to hit the target and trouble MK keeper David Martin.

Rovers made one change at half time as Billy Bodin was replaced by Charlie Colkett changing shape from a 4-3-3 into a 4-3-1-2 for the start of the second half and the change in shape seemed to pay off almost immediately as Matty Taylor found himself with plenty of time on the ball and was allowed to pick his spot from 20-yards giving Rovers a way back into the game.

With just over an hour on the clock, MK Dons regained their two goal lead thanks to a superb solo goal from Ben Reeves. The Dons man picked up the ball on the right hand side before turning Lee Brown inside out before hammering a low shot past Kelle Roos.

Darrell Clarke's side still looked positive in attack as Ellis Harrison and then Chris Lines were fouled in dangerous positions but from the resulting free kicks Lee Brown and then Chris Lines failed to trouble the goalkeeper.

As the game ticked into the final 15 minutes, Darrell Clarke made his final substitution bringing on Rory Gaffney in place of Ellis Harrison and the Irishman's presence looked to cause the Dons back line issues and Matty Taylor managed to fire Rovers back into contention.

Second half substitute Charlie Colkett picked out Jake Clarke-Salter with a delightful ball and the Chelsea loanee made his way to the touchline before unselfishly squaring the ball into the path of Matty Taylor who made no mistake scoring his second of the evening. 

Less than 60 seconds later, Matty Taylor completed his hat-trick after a Lee Brown strike hit another Rovers player before falling into the path of Taylor who calmly slotted the ball past Martin to rescue a point.

Up next for Rovers is the trip north to take on Oldham Athletic on Saturday before entertaining Peterborough United at the Memorial Stadium the following week. 

MK Dons: Martin; GB Williams, Hendry, Downing, Lewington (c); Carruthers, Upson; Agard, Reeves, Colclough (Powell - 60); Bowditch (Maynard - 78).

Unused Substitutes: Nicholls (GK), Tilney, GC Williams, Thomas-Asante, Tshimanga.

Rovers: Roos; Roberts, Lockyer (C), Clarke-Salter, Brown; O. Clarke (Montano - 65), Lines, Sinclair; Bodin (Colkett - 46) ; Harrison (Gaffney - 76), Taylor.

Unused Substitutes: Mildenhall (GK), J. Clarke, Moore, James.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account