Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 September 2015

Club News


19 September 2015

Plymouth Argyle 1-1 Bristol Rovers

Attendance: 10,633 (1,587)

Rovers secured a late draw point at Home Park drawing 1-1 with Plymouth Argyle.

Ellis Harrison's 90th minute penalty earned Rovers a point after Jake Jervis put the Pilgrims into the lead.

Darrell Clarke made three changes to the side that lost to Accrington Stanley at the Mem handing Billy Bodin his fill debut along with reinstating Jake Gosling and Matty Taylor to the starting 11.

Argyle started well forcing two saves from Lee Nicholls, one from a Graham Carey free kick and a Hairam Boateng strike from long range.

Rovers grew into the game after keeping Plymouth at bay in the opening exchanges as a Lee Brown cross from the left hand side was met by Matty Taylor but the Rovers frontman could only head the ball into the hands of McCormick.

The Gas continued to attack down the left hand side and following a lovely delivery from Jake Gosling into the penalty area but this time Taylor headed over under heavy pressure from the Plymouth rearguard.

Plymouth continued to attack in what was an open game as Kelvin Mellor was allowed space to run down the right hand side of the pitch. Mellor then delivered an inch perfect ball across the Rovers six-yard box but no one was on hand to direct the ball into the back of the net.

Moments later Pilgrims midfielder Hiram Boateng was allowed space to shoot on the edge of the Rovers area but curled his left footed effort wide of Lee Nicholls' right hand post.

Just before half time, Matty Taylor wriggled free in the Argyle penalty area before lashing a shot at goal with his left foot. Luke McCormick in the Plymouth goal was equal to it pushing it into the path of Curtis Nelson who was able to clear.

Rovers started well in the second half and the home side were lucky to keep 11 players on the pitch as Carl McHugh went clattering into Stuart Sinclair with what seemed like a high foot but referee Christopher Sarginson only gave the Plymouth man a yellow card.

From the resulting free kick, Chris Lines passed the ball short to Lee Brown who tried his luck from distance but his 40-yard strike went well wide of the goal.

The home side starting turning the screw on the hour mark and a brilliant ball in from the Plymouth left was met by Jake Jervis who was only denied by a fantastic reaction save from Lee Nicholls.

Darrell Clarke tried to freshen things up just past the hour mark bringing on Cristian Montano to replace Jake Gosling followed by Ellis Harrison replacing Matty Taylor but it was the home side who had a glorious chance to take the lead as Reuben Reid turned the Rovers back line inside out before hesitating and eventually not getting a shot away, allowing Rovers to clear.

As the game progressed both teams looked for the for what seemed to be the all important opener as Chris Lines had his protests for a penalty waved away by referee Christopher Sarginson and at the other end of the field Peter Hartley saw a long range effort go well wide of the post.

With ten minutes of the game remaining Plymouth had their own penalty claim turned down as Tom Lockyer took the ball clean from former Rovers man and Pilgrim's substitute Ryan Brunt.

Moments later it was Plymouth who took the lead as Tyler Wylde's ball across the six-yard area was met by Jake Jervis who fired the ball into the goal off of the feet of Lee Nicholls.

With Argyle fans still celebrating Rovers were awarded a penalty as Ellis Harrison advanced on goal and was clattered by Luke McCormick just inside the Plymouth penalty area.

After receiving treatment, McCormick continued and Ellis Harrison dusted himself off and hammered the ball down the middle of the goal to bring the sides level.

Deep into the eight minutes of injury time Rovers had a chance to win it a as a free kick from the right hand side was directed to the far post where Tom Lockyer headed the ball back across goal to James Clarke. Clarke then guided the ball back into the centre of the goal where Ellis Harrison powered a header at goal who was denied by Luke McCormick with a fantastic save.

Up next for Rovers is the visit of Portsmouth next Saturday (26th September).

Plymouth: McCormick; Mellor, Nelson (C), Hartley, Sawyer; McHugh (Cox - 50), Boateng; Jervis, Carey, Tanner (Wylde - 63) ; Reid (Brunt - 81).

Unused Substitutes: Harvey (GK), Simpson, Harvey, Purrington.

Rovers: Nicholls; J. Clarke, Lockyer, Parkes, Brown; Bodin, Sinclair, Lines (C), Gosling (Montano - 65), Taylor (Harrison - 69), Easter (Lucas - 86).

Unused Substitutes: Mildenhall (GK), McChrystal, Mansell, O. Clarke.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account