Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 October 2015

Club News


30 October 2015

Cambridge United 1-2 Bristol Rovers

Attendance: 5,115 (562)

Rovers made it four away wins in a row thanks to a 1-2 win at Cambridge United.

Second half goals from Ellis Harrison and Matty Taylor secured all three points for Darrell Clarke's side after Barry Corr gave the hosts a first half lead.

Darrell Clarke made three changes to the side that lost to Newport County last weekend bringing back club captain Mark McChrystal following his recovery from an ankle injury. James Clarke and Ellis Harrison made up the other changes as Daniel Leadbitter and Matty Taylor drop to the substitutes bench.

Rovers started the game well pressing the home side when they were in possession whilst breaking with pace. The Gas almost had their first effort on goal in the opening five minutes as Jake Gosling picked out Jermaine Easter who was one on one with the goalkeeper only to see the linesman's flag go up.

The home side had an appeal of a penalty turned down moments later by referee Brendan Malone as Barry Corr chased down a long ball over the top only to seemingly go down under little to no contact.

Both sides played out a very tight even affair until Cambridge took the lead just past the half hour mark. Good link up play down the left hand side allowed Harrison Dunk space to deliver a pin-point ball onto the head of Barry Corr who headed home his eighth goal of the season from close range.

Darrell Clarke's men looked more positive at the start of the second half and almost pulled a goal back in what would have been a carbon copy of United's goal. Lee Brown found space on the Rovers left and whipped a lovely ball into the penalty area. Ellis Harrison directed a powerful header goalwards but his effort clipped the top of the crossbar with Chris Dunne seemingly beaten.

Rovers continued to press in the opening exchanges of the second half as a neat spell of passing worked it's way to Billy Bodin inside the penalty area. Bodin hit a low cross along the six-yard area which was clipped on target by Jermaine Easter but Dunne was able to gather.

Darrell Clarke made a change just past the hour mark replacing Jermaine Easter with Matty Taylor and Taylor had an instant impacted and played a huge part in Rovers pulling level.

Taylor picked up the ball some way out before advancing into the penalty area, he dropped his shoulder and left Mark Roberts standing before firing a shot goalward. Chris Dunne did well to stop his effort but palmed it straight into the path of Ellis Harrison who made no mistake firing into the roof of the net.

With full time closing in Rovers capitalised on a mistake by the Cambridge back line. Following a poor effort at a back pass from Greg Taylor, Matty Taylor advanced onto goal calmly composed himself before rounding Chris Dunne and slotting into an empty net.

Cambridge tried to mount a comeback but the Rovers backline stood strong to make it four wins in a row away from home for Darrell Clarke's side.

Up next for Rovers is the First Round of this years FA Cup as Darrell Clarke's men entertain Chesham United at the Memorial Stadium next Sunday (8th November)

Cambridge: Dunne, Taylor, Roberts (C), Donaldson (Newton - 84), Berry, Corr, Dunk, Sesay, Simpson (Demetriou - 69), L. Hughes (Gaffney - 69), J. Hughes.

Unused Substitutes: Beasant (GK), Omozusi, Slew, Coulson.

Rovers: Nicholls; J. Clarke, Lockyer, McChrystal (C), Brown; Bodin, Mansell, Sinclair, Gosling; Easter (Taylor - 62), Harrison.

Unused Substitutes: Mildenhall (GK), Leadbitter, Parkes, O. Clarke, Lines, Montano.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account