Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 11/11/2015

11 November 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 11/11/2015

11 November 2015

Attendance: 3,495 (181)

Bristol Rovers were dumped out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at the hands of League One Southend United.

United skipper John White headed home the only goal of the game in the first half as Rovers exited the competition at the area Quarter-Final stage.

Darrell Clarke made four changes to the side that lost to Chesham United at the weekend recalling Tom Parkes, James Clarke, Chris Lines and Jermaine Easter into the starting 11 replacing Tom Lockyer, Daniel Leadbitter, Lee Mansell and Ellis Harrison.

Rovers started positively as Jake Gosling picked the ball up early on and drove at Adam Thompson only to see his shot hit the side netting.

However it was the home side that struck first in the game, Kevan Hurst picked up the ball on the blues left before putting his head up to pick out skipper John White at the far post who calmly headed past a stranded Lee Nicholls.

Darrell Clarke's side tried to hit back instantly as Lee Brown's cross from the Rovers left fell to Billy Bodin in the penalty area. Bodin hit the ball first time but could only find the side netting of Dan Bentley's goal.

Rovers continued to try and get back into the game after a nice slick passing move involving Chris Lines, Jake Gosling and eventually Matty Taylor who failed to test the Shrimpers keeper.

Billy Bodin appeared to pull Darrell Clarke's men level five minutes before half time as he danced past Ryan Leonard before curling a left-footed effort past Bentley only to see referee Andy Woolmer consult with his linesman who ruled the goal out for offside.

The Gas continued to press in the second half and shots from Lee Brown and Jermaine Easter forced fantastic saves from Dan Bentley who kept the home side a goal to the good.

Darrell Clarke tried to freshen things up just before the hour mark replacing Jake Gosling with Cristian Montano who was instantly involved taking on John White before whipping a ball into the area which Bentley dealt with well.

Matty Taylor's trickery was seeming to cause the League One side's backline problems before finding Jermaine Easter in the penalty area with a wonderful pass before forcing another brilliant reaction save from Dan Bentley.

Taylor was on hand again minutes later to lay the ball off for a team mate and this time it was substitute Jamie Lucas who forced another save from Bentley low down to his right.

Dan Bentley had a fantastic night between the sticks as Cristian Montano was next to test the United shot stopper this time from range as his curled effort was tipped behind.

In the closing stages Rovers had yet another chance, this time through Mark MchChrystal who volleyed Cristian Montano's cross inches wide of the post.

Southend rarely offered anything in the second half other that a pair of chances from Jack Payne and Will Atkinson in injury time which were both blocked and off target respectively.

Up next for Rovers is the visit of Carlisle United to the Mem on Saturday before the visit to Crawley Town the following week.

Southend: Bentley, White (C), Thompson, Barrett, Coker; Hurst, Payne, Atkinson, Leonard, Worrall; Mooney (Pigott - 82).

Unused Substitutes: Smith, Prosser, O'Neill, Williams.

Rovers: Nicholls; J. Clarke, McChrystal (C), Parkes, Brown; Bodin, Sinclair, Lines, Gosling (Montano - 56); Taylor, Easter (Lucas - 72).  

Unused Substitutes: Mildenhall (GK), Kilgour, O. Clarke.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account