Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/04/2015

25 April 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 25/04/2015

25 April 2015

Attendance: 11,085 (97)

Bristol Rovers thrashed Alfreton Town on the last day of the season but miss out on top spot and automatic promotion.

Goals from Jake Gosling, Ellis Harrison, Lee Mansell, Andy Monkhouse, Tom Parkes  and a Matty Taylor brace secured the three points for Darrell Clarke's men and relegated a poor Alfreton side.

Darrell Clarke made one change to the side that drew 1-1 at Dover last week, bringing in Jake Gosling for Nathan Blissett who had to settle for a place on the substitutes bench.

Rovers came out all guns blazing and had a succession of corners early on. Initially Chris Lines swung the ball in and Tom Parkes thunderbolt of a shot was deflected behind for another Rovers corner which Alfreton eventually cleared.

Minutes later Rovers came close to opening the scoring as from another corner Tom Parkes challenged Tom Flynn in the air but his headed crashed against the crossbar and behind for a goal kick.

It was the home side who took the lead with just over 20 minutes gone as Jake Gosling ghosted in from the right hand side before curling a beautiful shot past Flynn.

On the half hour mark Rovers doubled their lead as that man Ellis Harrison bundled home Lee Brown's deep cross.

Moments later Harrison had the ball in the back of the net again but was judged to have pushed Lathaniel Rowe-Turner in the build up before applying a calm finish.

Alfreton offered very little and seemed like a side destined for relegation and Rovers made it 3-0 just before half time.

Following a lung busting run from Chris Lines down the Rovers right hand side he was able to compose himself enough to deliver a pin-point cross onto the head of Matty Taylor who guided the ball past Tom Flynn. 

Rovers started the second half just as they ended the first with a Matty Taylor goal to make it 4-0 to the home side.

From a Jake Gosling corner the ball found it's way to Mark McChrystal on the left wing and the Rovers skipper whipped in a perfect delivery for Matty Taylor to nod home.

Just before that hour mark Alfreton had a rare effort as substitute Joe Ironside tried his luck from the edge of the area but Will Puddy was equal to it.

Darrell Clarke's men continued to attack and another fantastic run from Jake Gosling on the right hand side created a shooting opportunity and the Gibraltar international forced a great save from Tom Flynn.

Substitute Angelo Balanta was presented a golden opportunity to make it 5-0 but put his effort wide of the mark after shrugging off Town skipper Luke Graham.

With 10 minutes to go Rovers did make it five as Daniel Leadbitter crossed well from the right hand side onto the head of an arriving Lee Mansell.

Moments later, Andy Monkhouse got in on the action following a poor stop from Flynn in the Alfreton goal Monkhouse was able to convert unmarked inside the six-yard area.

As injury time ticked over Tom Parkes rubbed salt into the wounds of relegated Alfreton making it 7-0 heading home from close range.

With Barnet winning at home to Gateshead, Darrell Clarke's men enter the playoffs and will face Forest Green Rovers with the first leg taking place on Wednesday (29th April) with ticketing information to be released on the official site shortly.

Rovers: Puddy, Lockyer (Leadbitter - 71), McChrystal (C), Parkes, Brown, Gosling, Lines (Clarke - 71), Mansell, Monkhouse, Taylor, Harrison (Balanta - 62).

Unused Substitutes: Mildenhall (GK), Blissett.

Alfreton: Flynn, Wood, Rowe-Turner, Graham (C), Speight (Ironside - 52), Bradley, Howell, Shaw, Heaton, Johnston (McDonald - 59), Phillips.

Unused Substitutes: Courtney, Thanoi, Hawley.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account