Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 September 2014

Club News


20 September 2014

Bristol Rovers 2-0 Woking

Attendance: 6,028 (278)

Bristol Rovers made it four league wins in a row for the first time in 9 years after beating Woking 2-0 at the Memorial Stadium.

A 3rd minute volley from Adam Cunnington and a inch perfect free kick from Lee Mansell earned Rovers all three points and maintained their unbeaten run at home.

Darrell made one change from the team that beat Nuneaton on Tuesday night, bringing in Daniel Leadbitter to replace Neal Trotman. This slight change in personnel meant that Tom Lockyer moved into the centre back position.

Rovers started the game in the same way as they did on Tuesday night, by scoring early.

Dave Martin’s cross from deep was met by Adam Cunnington who ghosted away from his marker to volley home at the far post. Having missed out on the scoring on Tuesday this was Cunnington’s second goal since joining on loan from Cambridge.

Woking were limited with their efforts in the opening 20 minutes, speculative long shots from Josh Payne and Dean Morgan hardly troubled Mildenhall in the Rovers goal.

The Cards continued to put pressure on the Rovers back line and had their best chance of the half after 35 minutes.

Some slick passing for the visitors allowed John Goddard to find some space to lash a shot goalwards however the Woking man fired over the crossbar.

Rovers had chances to extend their lead but both Matty Taylor and Jake Gosling failed to hit the target and trouble Ross Worner.

Darrell opted for a change at half time bringing on Ollie Clarke in place of Jake Gosling and switching to a 4-3-3 formation with Adam Cunnington spearheading an attack with Dave Martin and Matty Taylor.

The change seemed to work as the pace of Martin and Taylor in the wide areas caused the Cards defence trouble.

Matty Taylor made some fantastic runs into the channels before being crowded out and being unable to deliver the ball into the penalty area.

Daniel Leadbitter surged forwards into the Woking area just before the hour mark however, Cards skipper Mike Castor took the ball off the end of his boot before he was able to get a shot away.

Ex-Rovers forward Scott Rendell had the pick of the chances for the visitors with two close range efforts.

Rendell was once denied by a superb save from Steve Mildenhall before the Woking man was judged offside by the linesman and moments later he fired wide of Mildenhall’s right hand post.

Rovers superior fitness began to tell going into the final 20 minutes as Woking began to foul Rovers players as they went in search for that all-important second goal.

With 10 minutes to go Daniel Leadbitter and Stuart Sinclair linked up well down the right before Leadbitter cut inside and was brought down by Castor. for give away a free kick on the edge of the Woking penalty area.

Lee’s Mansell and Brown were both stood over the ball before the Rovers skipper curled a right-footed effort into the far corner of the goal to send the supporters into a glorious chorus of Goodnight Irene.

Rovers face back to back away matches at Southport (27th) and Eastleigh (30th) before they are back at the Mem to entertain Dover Athletic in October.

Rovers: Mildenhall, Leadbitter, Lockyer, Brown, Gosling (Clarke – 45), Mansell, Sinclair, Martin, Cunnington (Harrison – 60), Taylor (White – 90+).

Unused Substitutes: Puddy, McChrystal.

Woking: Worner, Newton (Arnold – 63), Castor, McNerney (C), Payne, Rendell, Sole (Beckles – 81), Jones, Goodard (Murtagh – 73), Morgan, Arthur.

Unused Substitutes: Little, Lewis.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account