23/9/23 MR Wigan

Rovers win in clinical fashion against Wigan to secure all three points at the Mem.


Joey Barton’s side made 3 changes from the previous league fixture against Shrewsbury, with Harvey Vale making his first League One start in a Rovers shirt. Sam Finley and Josh Grant also made their way into the starting squad.


The Thatchers End were in full voice going into today’s fixture and it would be Rovers who started off on the front foot when John Marquis and Sam Finley linked up beautifully splitting open the Latic’s backline, finding Aaron Collins, but the resulting strike was blocked.


Collins was dispossessed in the middle of the park leaving Wigan with room to break, Charlie Wyke drove the attack before laying the ball off to the left, feeding Thelo Aasgaard but his effort was sliced past the far post.


A fine Rovers attack in the 13th minute was finished off by Luke Thomas as Antony Evans played a sweet ball down the flank to the overlapping Thomas who cut back and calmly curled into Sam Tickle’s far post.


GOAl-08208 (1)-min.jpg



Wigan would quickly equalise just seven minutes after Thomas’ goal. Rovers thought they would be awarded a free-kick for what looked like a foul on Matt Cox by Charlie Wyke, the referee however decided against the decision and the ball fell to Sean Clare, whose attempt on goal found Wyke who tapped home past Cox.


The game would take another turn as Bristol Rovers retook the lead moments after the equaliser, Harvey Vale whipped a delicious ball across the goalmouth and the arriving Jack Hunt flicked towards goal, but despite Tickle’s best efforts to keep it out, the ball went just over the line.


Five minutes left to play in the first half and Wigan looked to find their second equaliser of the game when Lang darted down the right flank, his following square ball would find Aasgaard who struck from distance but Cox was equal to the effort.


Rovers would start the second half as they meant to go on as Bogarde won the ball in the middle of the pitch following a poor clearance from Tickle. The Blues then pushed upfield and Collins held off the oncoming Wigan defender inside the 18-yard box and smashed past Tickle, who could do nothing about it.


Antony Evans created another scoring opportunity for Rovers as he struck from way out, forcing the Latics ‘keeper to parry wide.


The party only continued when Jack Hunt had time and space on the right-hand side and with a beautifully struck cross, Marquis rose and aimed goalwards and although Tickle got a small touch he couldn’t keep it out.  


J CELE-08863-min.jpg



Rovers looked to make it five on the 87th-minute mark when Jevani Brown was set through on goal, but his perfectly teed-up ball to substitute Luke McCormick flew into the Rovers contingency in the Thatchers End.


The Mem erupted into celebration as the referee signalled for full-time. Rovers record their biggest League win of the season so far as they look forward to a trip to Peterborough this Saturday.

Bristol Rovers: Max Cox, Jack Hunt, Josh Grant, Connor Taylor, Harvey Vale, Sam Finley ©, Lamare Bogarde, Anthony Evans, Luke Thomas, Aaron Collins, John Marquis.


Wigan Athletic: Sam Tickle, Sean Clare, Liam Morrison, Charlie Hughs, Omar Rekik, Martial Godo, Baba Adeeko, Callum Lang ©, Matt Smith, Thelo Aasgaard, Charlie Wyke.


Attendance: 8181 (Including 157 away)

Read Time: 3 mins