19/9/23 WHU MR

Rovers lose 3-1 despite getting the first goal, in a tough battle at the Mem.

Joey Barton made nine changes from the team that started against Shrewsbury, including McCormick and Jevani Brown returning to the starting XI.


An early chance fell for Rovers when Sinclair got played through down the left, but his shot was dragged wide of the right post.


Another chance came Rovers' way when Scott whipped a cross in from the left which fell kindly for McCormick but his shot went wide.


The hosts found themselves defending multiple chances from West Ham as Belshaw and Luca Hoole both made blocks to keep the score level.


In the 24th minute, Rovers pounced on a misplaced pass and countered with speed; Sam Finley was there to finish into the bottom right corner to give them the lead.


A flourish of opportunities came just before the break when Jevani almost got the second goal as Vale slid him through on goal inside the box, but the shot just went wide of the left post. Not long after, Harvey Vale got the ball on the right and bent a shot towards the top left corner which narrowly missed the target.


The second half saw James Wilson make way for Connor Taylor as Rovers resumed their dominance they experienced before the break, with the best chance coming when Harvey Vale worked hard to win the ball in the West Ham half and played a lovely inside pass to McCormick, who struck the ball onto the bar.





The visitors didn't give up and were awarded a penalty when Connor Taylor brought down Chesters inside the box. The penalty was converted by Marshall.


Joey Barton subsequently made four changes for Rovers as Collins, Bogarde, Thomas and Evans came on for McCormick, Gibbons, Sinclair and Finley.


However not long after the visitors got a second as Earthy finished past Belshaw after being through on goal.


Despite applying late pressure, Rovers couldn't break the West Ham defence and against the run of the play, the London side countered and got their third goal of the evening when Marshall got his second goal of the evening to end the game 3-1.


Attendance - 978 (157 Away)









Read Time: 2 mins