4.11.23 MR Whitby

Rovers put seven past Whitby Town to progress to the second round of the FA Cup.


The hosts started the game well when Evans weaved just outside the 18-yard box looking to loop a shot over Shane Bland but the ‘keeper managed to tip it over for a corner.


Rovers opened the scoring when captain John Marquis poked home a James Gibbons cross after being fed through by Luke Thomas.


It would only take until the 13th minute for Whitby to level the scores, as a loose ball was picked up by Junior Mondal on the edge of the box and his effort was firmly nestled in the bottom right corner.


Rovers had a great chance to go ahead once again as Jevani Brown drove towards the Whitby box and fired a shot low and hard but Bland was down quickly to avert the danger.


Moments after Jevani’s chance, Luke Thomas did put the hosts 2-1 up, as he turned three Whitby players in their own box and calmly slotted past Bland.


It was chance after chance for Rovers and it was Jevani Browns’ time to get in on the action as a couple of poor defensive errors by Whitby combined with Tomas’ incredible footwork, Brown was free inside the 18-yard box and smashed home.


A Penalty for Rovers came when Evans was brought down inside the box and subsequently stepped up and converted from the spot.


The second half was upon us and Rovers started as they meant to go on, with some lovely link-up play between Jevani Brown and Lewis Gordon and the latter’s effort was quickly claimed by a sliding Bland.


An absolutely incredible goal by Connor Simpson as he found a bit of space on the left flank and decided to try his luck with a wonderfully curled finish into the top right corner, past Matt Cox.


Rovers’ worries would quickly fade away when James Gibbons sent a ball across the face of the goal and Whitby’s Harrison Beeden would be the unfortunate one to tumble the ball into his own net.


Substitute Harvey Vale added a sixth on the 70-minute mark, just like LT’s earlier finish, he weaved through the defence then with a clean cut the winger slotted home.


It would be seven for Rovers in the 77th minute Aaron Collins this time getting in on the fun, a firmly struck shot past Bland following some clean control.


A special moment came for 15-year-old Ollie Dewsbury who made his senior Rovers debut coming on in the 87th minute for John Marquis, he became the second youngest Bristol Rovers player ever.


The full-time whistle was blown at The Mem and Rovers are into the second-round draw on Sunday!

Bristol Rovers: Matt Cox, Lewis Gordon (Chris Martin 80’), Scott Sinclair (Harvey Vale 65’), John Marquis © (Ollie Dewsbury 87’), Luke Thomas, Connor Taylor (James Wilson 80’), Jevani Brown (Aaron Collins 65’), Antony Evans, Lamare Bogarde, Tristan Crama, James Gibbons.


Whitby Town: Shane Bland, Connor Smith, Coleby Shepherd, Priestly Griffiths (Connor Simpson 45’), Daniel Rowe ©, Harrison Beeden, Lewis Hawkins (Adam Gell 45’), Alfie Doherty (Soni Fergus 81’), Jerome Greaves (Bradley Fewster 67’), Jacob Gratton, Junior Mondal (Aaron Haswell 79’).


Attendance: 4335 (Including 388 away)


Read Time: 3 mins