14.03.23 Match Report - Rovers v Wycombe Wanderers

Rovers are defeated by Wycombe at the Mem.

Joey Barton made one change from Saturday's victory against Forest Green Rovers. James Connolly came into the starting XI with Luca Hoole dropping out through illness. 

The first chance of the game fell to Rovers. An incisive pass from Aaron Collins put Josh Coburn in behind the Wycombe back line. Josh looked to square the ball across the box where it fell to Sinclair, who saw his first-time effort blocked by McCarthy. 

A golden chance fell to Josh Coburn in the eighth minute. Another perfectly-timed ball from Collins played the striker in one-on-one with Max Stryjek in the Wycombe goal. Stryjek was quickly out to the Rovers no.40 and was able to snuff out the danger with a good save at the feet of Coburn.

The visitors took the lead just past the 16th minute. A loose touch from Lamare Bogarde on the edge of the box allowed Tjay De Barr to slide in former Rovers play Brandon Hanlan whose quickly taken finish beat Belshaw at his near post.

Collins had a sight at goal in the 25th minute. After bringing an airborne ball under his control, our no.10 hit a fierce effort that zipped narrowly wide of Stryjek's goal.


Josh Coburn was unlucky not to level the scores after Lewis Gibson had picked out the Rovers frontman with an excellent ball. Josh took the ball into his stride and looked to place the ball into the bottom left corner but hit his effort off target.

De Barr received the first yellow card of the game in the 41st minute after a late tackle on Gibson as the defender looked to push up the pitch. 

At the start of the second half, Joey Barton made two substitutes. Ryan Loft and Antony Evans replaced James Connolly and Scott Sinclair for the second 45.

Wycombe came close to doubling their lead five minutes after the restart. A Wycombe corner ball was looped towards goal where a sprawling Belshaw had to claw the ball off the line before Coburn was able to clear Rovers' lines.

Substitute Ryan Loft came close after combining with fellow substitute Antony Evans' cross but was unable to direct his headed effort on target.

The visitors had their second of the evening on the hour mark. Chem Campbell headed the ball into the net following Jason McCarthy's cross. 

Joe Jacobson was the latest player to enter Referee Welch's notebook after pulling back Antony Evans as the midfielder looked to push Rovers up the pitch. Scowen was also shown a yellow card with ten minutes to go after fouling Ward. 


Glenn Whelan entered the action for Josh Coburn in the 82nd minute as the Gas desperately pushed for a lifeline. 

Rovers pushed to get back in the game but it was not to be as Wycombe came away from the Mem with all three points.

Next up for Rovers is this weekend's home clash against Portsmouth on Saturday, 18th March (3pm KO).

Rovers: Belshaw, Connolly (45'), Gordon, Quansah, Sinclair (45'), Ward, Marquis, Collins (c), Gibson, Bogarde, Coburn (82')

Subs: Balcombe, Loft (45'), Evans (45'), Macdonald, McCormick, Whelan(82')

Wycombe Wanderers: Stryjek, Grimmer, Jacobson (c), Forino, Wing, McCleary, Hanlan, McCarthy, Campbell, Scowen, De Barr (59')

Subs: Cartwright, Young, Willis (59'), Wakely, Pattenden, Matshazi, Ward

Referee: Rebecca Welch

Attendance: 8,533 (436 away) 

Read Time: 3 mins