27.07.23 Swansea match report

The game opened with Swansea City enjoying large spells of possession with no chances being created.


A break in the run of play came in the fourth minute when Collins looked for a counter-attack however, he was brought down at the halfway line.


 The home side demanded a great save from Belshaw in the sixth minute when a header was fired at him from just outside his six-yard box.


A free kick was won for the Rovers when Swansea City defender, Ollie Cooper dragged Luke Thomas off the pitch, in an attempt to win the ball.


Thomas laid the subsequent free kick off to Brown who played Collins down the right wing who proceeds to cut inside and fire a shot at the near post which is saved by Andy Fisher.


In the 23rd minute Luke Thomas and Ollie Cooper had yet another entanglement which resulted in Thomas staying down for a moment allowing for a break in play.


The game resumed shortly after, and The Swans were immediately applying the pressure; Connolly broke it down with a great block which stopped the ball from floating into the box.


At the other end of the pitch, Thomas crossed it to the back post for Sinclair who struck the ball over the bar.


Late in the first 45 Collins starts a counter as he sent Sinclair down the left wing to then float the ball to Luke Thomas whose shot is deflected behind for a corner. The first half was drawn to a close after Rovers’ goalkeeper James Belshaw claims a lofted corner from Swansea.


Five changes for Rovers at the start of the second half, Marquis, Evans and Jones are joined by debutants Matt Cox and Tristan Crama all come on with Belshaw, Gordon, Wilson, Ward and Sinclair coming off.


The second half started strong for Rovers as Thomas laid d it off to Evans who challenged the Swansea goalkeeper with a shot from distance.


Another chance for The Pirates came early in the second half when Brown left a pass from Thomas off the right for Marquis who fires it straight at Fisher.

Cox sprang into action with a diving save at his far post after a shot from Swansea’s striker in the 55th minute.


Rovers won a corner in the 60th minute after a beautiful pass from Finley meets Thomas’ run down the right wing and the home side defenders scrambled to stop the play.


Cox made an incredible double save in the 69th minute to keep the scoreline 0-0. Evans again challenged the Welsh sides goalkeeper from distance after a scramble in the box was laid off to him.


A goal for Rovers came in the 76th after Jevani Brown heads home a perfectly delivered cross from Luke Thomas, which opened the scoring late in the game.

JMP Swansea City v Bristol Rovers_ac_076.JPG

78th-minute substitution for Rovers; Luke Thomas comes off; Jerry Lawrence comes on.


Swansea City’s attempts for an equaliser were foiled by Rovers’ defence which remained solid after several shots on goal were blocked.


Three more substitutions for Rovers; Triallist, Greenslade and Shaw on, Collins, Brown and Finley off. Evans claims the captain’s armband.


Some great composure was on display from Crama as he dribbled the ball out from the back and won a free kick for the Gas after being brought down by a late challenge by Swansea.


Immediately up the other end of the pitch, Kofi Shaw shot from distance causing Fisher to make a diving save after a good run from Greenslade.

Triallist met a deep ball down the right and crossed it in for Marquis to head home Rovers' second of the night in the 91st minute, making the scoreline 2-0.


Full time at Swansea.com Stadium saw Bristol Rovers win 2-0.


ROVERS XI: Belshaw, Wilson, Gordon, Connolly, Hoole, Finley, Sinclair, Ward, Thomas, Brown.


SUBS: Cox (45’), Crama (45’), Evans (45’), Marquis (45’), Jones (45’), Lawrence (78’), Greenslade (84’), Shaw (84’), Triallist (84’).


SWANSEA XI: Fisher, Key, Grimes, Yates, Paterson, B. Cooper, Cullen, Wood, Naughton, O. Cooper, Abdulai.


SUBS: Webb, Hughes, Fulton, Darling, Ntcham, Piroe, Lloyd, Joe Thomas, Josh Thomas, Cotterill, Lissah.

Read Time: 4 mins