15.08.23 Charlton MR

A great performance on the road from Rovers was rewarded with the first win of the 2023/24 season.


Manager Joey Barton was back on the touchline after serving his three-game suspension and debutant Harvey Vale started on the bench.


The game opened with action at both ends, starting with Crama and Gordon combining at the back to keep Charlton at bay, immediately followed by Marquis firing a one-on-one chance straight at Maynard-Brewer.


The end-to-end tempo of the opening continued as each team took turns to attack, but neither found a gap in each other’s defensive lines.


Charlton’s first chance on target of the game came on 21 minutes as Alfie May’s shot demanded a great save from Cox.


Momentum stayed with the home side and they had another chance straight after when Blackett-Taylor fired a pass across the face of the goal; however, no one connected with it.


The first booking for the game came in the 27th minute after Marquis went to the floor but the referee deemed it simulation.


Charlton enjoyed large spells of possession in the proceeding minutes, but Rovers’ defence proved to be up to the challenge of the Addicks’ attempts on goal.


Towards the end of the first half, Collins found himself on the edge of the box with a bit of space after dribbling passed the Charlton back line, however the subsequent shot on goal was deflected away.


Half-time arrived with the game goalless. 


Charlton had the first chance of the second half with Payne’s deflected shot being comfortably caught by Cox.


Rovers saw more spells of possession in the early sections of the second-half and took the lead in the 58’ minute; Evans’ free-kick is palmed into the path of Collins who squared it to Sinclair to poke home the opener.


Charlton tried to swiftly respond with a chance of their own, but Crama remained composed and calmly diffused the danger.


Sinclair had a one-on-one chance in the 64th minute but his chipped shot went narrowly wide.


In the 65th minute, Thomas, Sinclair and Gordon came off for Grant, Finley and debutant Harvey Vale.


Right after the break in play, Marquis was close to doubling the scoreline after taking the ball round Maynard-Brewer but some last-ditch defending kept the scoreline 1-0.


Charlton equalised in the 73rd minute against the run of play when substitute Daniel Kanu was put through on goal and slotted the ball just out of Cox’s reach.


Charlton maintained momentum of the game and controlled large spells of possession in the following minutes.


After 82 minutes, Harvey Vale almost opened his Rovers account after Collins found him unmarked in the box; however, his shot was miscued.


Alfie May saw a shot rattle the post and go out for a throw-in after Crama was dispossessed in the 88th minute.


In the 89th minute, Luke McCormick replaced Marquis and it would prove to be a wise decision.


Seven minutes were added on at the end of the second-half.


The second booking of the match came for Josh Grant after he made a late tackle on Alfie May, swiftly followed by Charlton manager being booked for dissent on the touchline.


In Rovers’ last attack of the game Grant Ward chipped the ball into McCormick controlled with his chest and calmly volleyed home a dramatic late winner.



CHARLTON:  Maynard-Brewer, Asiimwe, Jones, Ness, Edun, Payne, Dobson, Camara, Anderson, Blackett-Taylor, May.


ROVERS: Cox, Hoole, Taylor, Crama, Gordon (Grant 65’), Ward, Evans (Loft 83’), Thomas (Finley 65’), Sinclair (Vale 65’), Collins, Marquis (McCormick 89’).


Attendance: 12,756 (780 away)


Referee: Charles Breakspear

Read Time: 3 mins