12.08.23 Barnsley MR

Bristol Rovers dominate Barnsley in the first home game of the season but were unlucky not to come away with 3 points.


Marquis was back in the starting line up and Jevani Brown out with injury calls for Antony Evans to make his first start of the season.


Rovers enjoyed large spells of possession to start the game, however, against the run of play Barnsley had the first chance of the game, a curled effort from the edge of the box that Cox caught with ease.


The first goal of the game came in the 7’ minute to the visitors, Nicky Cadden fired a shot at from a tight angle narrowly beating Cox at his near post.


Rovers retaliated immediately when LT surged up the right wing and lofted a cross into John Marquis in the box, but he couldn’t convert.


A brilliant gesture in the 16th minute after the home side fans clap for retired Rovers player Nick Anderton.


John Marquis had another chance on goal in the 20’ minute after Evans floated the ball in for him, however, it was headed wide.


The first booking came in the 23’ minute for Barnsley midfielder, Barry Cotter, after a late challenge on Aaron Collins at the 35-yard line.


Collins found himself through on goal 28 minutes in but took one too many touches and got tackled before he could unleash a shot at goal.


Rovers applied the pressure late in the first half and had two potential penalty calls waved away by referee Carl Brook.


Half-time arrived with the scoreline staying 0-1 to the visitors against the run of play.


The Gas started the second-half strong with early dominance of possession.


Marquis had the first shot of the second half after Collins found him in a good position on the edge of the box but the shot dragged wide.


60 minutes in John Marquis had another chance this time rifle off the crossbar.


Barnsley midfielder, Jonathan Russell was the second booking of the match after a heavy tackle on LT, winning a free-kick 40 yards out. Nothing came from the subsequent free-kick.


69 minutes in Evans did well to find Marquis in the box whose header at goal is saved.


73’ Substitution for Rovers; Sam Finley and Lewis Gordon off, Josh Grant and Scott Sinclair on.


Sinclair made an instant impact after winning a corner for the Gas.


Rovers finally broke down Barnsley’s defence after LT played Sinclair down the left side of the box and placed a right-footed shot in the far corner of the goal. 1-1.


Sinclair proved to be a game changer after he had another shot at goal go over the bar after the Gas won the ball back straight after kick-off.


The home side carried the momentum with them and had a chance cleared off the line after Barnsley struggled to keep Rovers off the ball.


90+3’ Substitution for Rovers; Antony Evans and Aaron Collins off, Ryan Loft and Luke McCormick on.


Full-time at the Memorial Stadium final score 1-1.


ROVERS XI: Cox, Hoole, Crama, Taylor, Gordon (Grant 73’), Finley (Sinclair 73’), Ward, Thomas, Collins (Loft 90+3), Evans (McCormick 90+3), Marquis.


BARNSLEY XI: Roberts, Williams, Lopata, Kitching, Cotter, Kane, Styles, Russell, Cadden, Cole, Watters.

Read Time: 3 mins