25.04.23 Plymouth Rovers Match Report

Rovers fell to a 2-0 defeat in Devon after a 26th-minute red card for Antony Evans made for a difficult evening.

The Gas made five changes for the trip to Plymouth Argyle to take on the league leaders.

James Belshaw returned in goal, and there were starts for Quansah, Marquis, Hoole and Evans.

Plymouth came flying out of the traps, looking to score an early goal.

Up the other end, Aaron Collins, newly-crowned as the League One Player of the Season, wanted a penalty but referee Hicks waved away the protest.

The game's big talking point arrived in the 26th minute as Antony Evans, who had already been booked, was shown a red card for his second caution, leaving Rovers facing an uphill task.

They battled hard, however, and a combination of an offside flag to disallow a Wright goal, some flying Belshaw saves and more than one near miss combined to leave the contest all square at the break.


Collins made way for Gibbons at the interval. Wright flashed a header wide of the target as Plymouth started on the front foot once more.

They took a deserved lead in the 50th minute as Nial Ennis scored a spectacular overhead kick after latching on to a cross from the right wing.

They soon doubled their lead as defender Gillesphey headed home from a corner in the 56th minute.

Joey Barton, who was booked in the first half, responded by bringing Connolly and Loft on in place of Gibson and Hoole.

Plymouth continued to press and skipper Edwards kicked fresh air when well-placed near the penalty spot.

Rovers held firm and, with Grant Ward pulling the strings, almost fashioned a chance for Anderson.

Next up for Rovers is a trip to Peterborough on Saturday 29th April for a Sky Bet League One fixture (kick-off 3pm).


PLYMOUTH ARGYLE: Burton, Gillesphey, Wilson, Scarr, Butcher, Edwards (c), Mayor, Ennis, Mumba, Randell, Wright.

Subs: Parkes, Houghton, Hardie, Cosgrove, Azaz, Lonwijk, Matete.


BRISTOL ROVERS: Belshaw, Hoole (Loft 58), Gibson (Connolly 58), Quansah, Gordon, Evans, G.Ward, Bogarde, Marquis (Anderson 72), Collins (Gibbons 46), Coburn (Finley 33).

Subs: J.Ward, Connolly, Finley, Sinclair, Loft, Anderson, Gibbons.


Referee: C.Hicks

Attendance: 16,254 (408 away)

Read Time: 2 mins