29.03.23 Match Report - Peterborough v Rovers

Rovers halted a run of three straight defeats with a closely-fought draw at play-off-chasing Peterborough United.

The Gas made four changes for the trip to Cambridgeshire. Ellery Balcombe returned in goal, with James Belshaw dropping to the bench, whilst there were also starts for Finley, Loft and Gibbons.

Peterborough started on the front foot, needing a win to aid their play-off chances.

With former Rovers striker Jonson Clarke-Harris at the heart of everything, the early signs were ominous, particularly with the Gas in the midst of a losing run.

Josh Coburn wasted Rovers' best chance, dragging his shot wide from the edge of the box, with Collins well-placed alongside him.

At the other end, Clarke-Harris tested Balcombe from distance, but the returning shot-stopper flew to his left to repel the effort.

Poku and Ogbeta were a threat on the left flank throughout the opening half-hour. When Bogarde broke up one attack down that side and looked to break free, Norburn cynically brought him down and was rightly booked by referee Drysdale.

Posh still continued to make the running and Rovers were looking stretched at times. However, they held firm and, despite yellow cards for Bogarde, Gibbons and Finley - four two fouls and a handball respectively - Rovers saw the game through to a 0-0 scoreline at the interval.


The second period began in the same vein as the first, with two quick corners for the home side. 

Loft and Butler were shown yellow cards after a coming together, before Rovers had a great chance to open the scoring on the hour mark. Gritty play from Loft set Finley free behind the Posh defence but, with both Collins and Coburn waiting to pounce in the middle, the captain's cross was too close to home goalkeeper Norris.


Peterborough themselves went even closer to breaking the deadlock, but Clarke-Harris' flicked header squirmed wide, with Balcombe beaten.

Collins then let fly with a rasping thirty-yard effort that home 'keeper Norris did well to parry away.

In the 80th minute, Balcombe was shown a yellow card for time-wasting.

Sinclair had made a difference since his introduction, and he nearly played an over-lapping Gordon in, but the ball just had too much on it.

Despite a few late scares, the Gas held firm to secure a point.

Next up for Rovers is the rearranged trip to Shrewsbury Town, which takes place on Tuesday, May 2nd, kick-off 7.45pm.


PETERBOROUGH: Norris, Edwards, Knight, Kent, Taylor, Clarke-Norris, Mason-Clark, Poku, Ogbeta, Norburn, Ward.

Subs: Blackmore, Butler, Burrows, Jones, Kyprianu, Thompson, Tshimanga.


BRISTOL ROVERS: Balcombe, Gordon, Quansah, Finley (c), Ward, Collins (Anderson 89), Gibson, Loft (Sinclair 69), Bogarde (Marquis 69), Gibbons, Coburn.

Subs: Belshaw, Connolly, Sinclair, Marquis, Macdonald, Anderson, Hoole.

Referee: D Drysdale

Attendance: 4,949.

Read Time: 3 mins