07.04.23 Match Report - Rovers 1-0 Charlton

Victory on Good Friday for Rovers

Rovers claimed their second home win of 2023 after completing a league double over Charlton Athletic.

After a timid start to the game, the visitors were the first side to have an effort on goal as Jesurun Rak-Sakyi clipped in a cross into the Rovers' penalty area but the winger overcooked his pass and the ball sailed over everyone and away to safety. 

Lewis Gibson set off on a surging run upfield; the centre-back passed the ball to Lewis Gordon, whose cross took a deflection to worry Ashley Maynard-Brewer in the Charlton net before flying over for a corner kick to the Gas.

Rovers came closest to taking the lead just before the half-time whistle. The ball was worked back out to the edge of the box following a Gas free-kick, where Grant Ward rolled the ball into the path of Antony Evans. The Filton Ave Figo hit his effort first time, only to be denied by a superb save from a full-stretch Maynard-Brewer. 

During the half-time break, the official Bristol Rovers players' cap was awarded to Harry Bamford and accepted by his daughter Hilary Lewis. Born & raised in St Philip's Marsh, Harry made 486 league appearances for the Gas between 1945-58. 

The second half began with Rovers on the front foot, but chances continued to be at a premium.

Rovers boss Joey Barton switched things up on the hour mark, as Aaron Collins and Ryan Loft entered the pitch to replace Antony Evans and Scott Sinclair.

John Marquis then replaced Josh Coburn in the 65th minute - and it proved to be a tactical masterstroke as the striker was on the scoresheet just four minutes later. 

Rovers were awarded a penalty in the 69th minute. Lamare Bogarde's clever flick caused the ball to strike the arm of Charlton skipper Dobson and referee Mather showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Marquis stepped up and confidently dispatched the spot-kick to put the Gas one to the good, to add to his brace at The Valley earlier in the season.


Lewis Gibson came up with a huge late block to keep the Gas in the lead; Miles Leaburn rose highest following a cross and was denied only by the determination of the Rovers number 17.

Next up for Rovers is the Easter Monday visit to Highbury to play Fleetwood Town, kick-off 3pm. 

Rovers: James Belshaw, James Connolly, Lewis Gordon, Sam Finley (c), Scott Sinclair (60'), Grant Ward, Lewis Gibson, Antony Evans (60'), Lamare Bogarde, Luca Hoole, Josh Coburn (65').

Subs: Jed Ward, Aaron Collins (60'), John Marquis (65'), Ryan Loft (60'), Harry Anderson, James Gibbons, Luke McCormick.

Charlton: Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Steven Sessegnon, Terell Thomas, George Dobson (c), Michael Hector, Albie Morgan, Jesurun Rak-Sakyi, Scott Fraser, Ryan Inniss, Miles Leaburn, Tyreece Campbell.

Subs: Joe Wollacott, Macauley Bonne, Mandela Egbo, Jack Payne, Aaron Henry, Daniel Kanu, Zach Mitchell.

Attendance: 9,613 (1,159 away)

Referee: Simon Mather

Read Time: 3 mins