10.04.23 Match Report Fleetwood 1 Rovers 2

Rovers made it back-to-back wins with second-half goals from Lewis Gibson and Grant Ward seeing off Fleetwood.

Rovers made two changes to the starting line-up, as Joey Barton recalled top scorer Aaron Collins and Friday's matchwinner John Marquis, in place of Scott Sinclair and Josh Coburn.

The Gas made a bright start and won a corner in the second minute, which was cleared to Ward, whose fierce drive was blocked on the edge of the area.

Two crunching tackles in the space of a few seconds sparked the game into life in the eighth minute. First, Bogarde won a full-blooded 50/50 before Fleetwood skipper repeated the trick to rob Evans of the ball.

Pantomime villain Shaun Rooney brought down Ward in the 12th minute and was lucky to escape without a booking. The free-kick from a dangerous area out wide on the left was well worked to the unmarked Gibson on the edge of the area but he miscued his shot. 


Fleetwood quickly countered and won a corner, whilst also being forced into an early substitution as Batty replaced MacAdam. When play resumed, Stockley planted a firm header over the bar.

A loud reaction from Wiredu saw the game's first yellow as Collins was deemed to have left his foot in on the defender and referee Barrott took action.

Fleetwood opened the scoring after 22 minutes as Stockley glanced the ball beyond Belshaw after Rooney headed back across goal.

The aptly-named Warrington produced a tackle befitting of rugby league to scythe down Hoole to earn a yellow in the 26th minute. 

Rovers were playing some neat, one-touch football, particularly down the right flank, but couldn't find a way through a resolute Fleetwood back-line.

The Gas' best chance came in the 39th minute but Marquis' header flashed over the bar, before a weak goal kick from Lynch went straight to Collins in space but his cross was deflected away from Marquis.

Collins was then on the end of a fine Gordon cross, but his header didn't have enough power to beat Lynch.

Half-time came, with Rovers trailing but, in truth, there was nothing between the sides.

Rovers made two changes at the break, with Coburn and Loft replacing Evans and Marquis. Loft and Rooney were straight into each others' faces and referee Barrott was forced to speak to them.

Wiredu was booked for a late challenge on Loft in the 47th minute; Finley's free-kick was cleared for a corner. From another one three minutes later, Bogarde's cross was headed wide by Coburn.

Rooney was booked for kicking the ball away as the Gas won a free-kick in a good position after 54 minutes. It was played short to Collins, his shot was spilled by Lynch and, after a scramble involving Connolly, Coburn and the post, Lewis Gibson pounced to slam home his first Rovers goal from close range.


Loft was bundled to the floor by Wiredu in the 59th minute but Finley's delivery was too close to Lynch.

Rooney then flung himself theatrically to the floor looking for a penalty but Barrott was having none of it. Rovers went up the other end and Coburn won a corner, but the home side cleared.

Bogarde was clattered by a late challenge after 61 minutes as tempers threatened to start boiling over. 

Coburn charged down Lynch's clearance but the ball ricocheted over the stand. 

Rovers took the lead in the 67th minute through another player scoring his first goal for the club, as Grant Ward spotted Lynch off his line and fired over his head and into the top corner.


Collins fired off a shot on the counter in the 70th minute but Lynch was able to gather, before Coburn was flagged offside when racing clear moments later.

Fleetwood won a corner on 77 but Gibson was able to clear, before Bogarde fouled Rooney to give the home side a free-kick a minute later. From it, a deflected header was claimed by Belshaw.

Rovers brought James Gibbons on to replace Collins in the 81st minute.

There was a chance for Quitirna on 83 minutes, but his firmly-struck shot cleared the bar. Two minutes later, Patterson curled a shot wide, as the home side threw everything forward looking for a late equaliser. 

Harry Anderson returned to the Gas team as an 89th-minute replacement for Finley. 


Next up for the Gas is a home game with Derby County on Saturday 15th April (kick-off 3pm).


FLEETWOOD: Lynch, Wiredu, Ndaba, Vela, Stockley, Marriott, Warrington, Patterson, Rooney, Macadam, Earl.

Subs: McMullen, Robertson, Quitirna, Omochore, Nsiala, Batty, Johnston.


ROVERS: Belshaw, Hoole, Gibson, Connolly, Gordon, Ward, Bogarde, Finley (Anderson 89), Collins (Gibbons 81), Marquis (Coburn 45), Evans (Loft 45).

Subs: Ward, Gibbons, McCormick, Sinclair, Coburn, Loft, Anderson.


Referee: Sam Barrott.

Attendance: 3,792.


Read Time: 4 mins