18102022 Rovers Swindon Match Report

Rovers made it five wins in a row with a comfortable 3-0 win against nine-men Swindon Town in the Papa John's Trophy.

Rovers made ten changes to their line-up from Saturday's 4-1 drubbing of Cheltenham, with Boby Thomas the only man to keep his place.

One player returning to the starting line-up was Jerry Lawrence, who recently earned a full professional contract. The midfielder was nearly celebrating with a goal after 12 minutes, but his goalbound effort from McCormick's pull-back was blocked.

Former Rover Cian Harries started for Swindon, and he was soon bouncing off Josh Coburn, as the big striker looked to make inroads down the right. A minute later, Brennan saw yellow for a heavy challenge on Anderson.


Swindon forced a corner after 26 minutes after Jaakkola advanced from his line to keep out a Reed cross. The visitors were reduced to ten men in the 31st minute, after Brennan received his second yellow for tripping Josh Coburn on the edge of the box. From the free-kick, Jasper fired low and wide.

Swindon were down to nine men after Aguiar was sent off for a late challenge on Kilgour in the 43rd minute. However, despite the numerical advantage, Rovers couldn't find a way through and the sides went off goalless at half-time.

Lawrence made way for Loft at the interval, and the striker immediately latched on to a Clarke cross, heading narrowly over Brynn's bar.

Sylvester then made a neat turn inside before shooting over, via a deflection. In the 51st minute, Loft was fortunate not to see yellow after a late, sliding tackle on Harries. Swindon sub Minturn was booked seconds later for pulling Coburn back.

McCormick burst forward from a Swindon corner and fed Clarke, whose cross was headed behind for a corner. From it, Rovers came desperately close to opening the scoring, as Jasper's cross was diverted onto the underside of the bar from close range by Coburn.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 63rd minute as Jasper wriggled away from his marker and fed Loft who produced a beautiful lobbed finish over Brynn.


Rovers were indebted to Thomas moments later, as the defender slid in to prevent Adeloyle from equalising.

Evans, Finley and Collins replaced Coburn, Westbrooke and Thomas in the 68th minute. Collins was soon into the action, racing onto a long ball and winning a corner.

Swindon's Shade was next in referee Rock's notebook, before Collins wasted a golden chance to settle the tie. Finley's inch-perfect pass was dragged wide of the far post by the normally clinical number 10.

In the 76th minute, Anderson produced a moment of magic, thumping past Brynn from the edge of the box and into the top left-hand corner to put the Gas two up.


Kilgour was alert to clear a dangerous Iandolo cross, before Shade fired well over Jaakkola's bar as Swindon's nine men rallied.

It was three for Rovers in the 84th minute as Luke McCormick raced clear down the left flank, cut inside the box and fired home into the bottom corner to open his account for the season.


Jasper, Collins and Clarke all had chances to make it four, but Rovers had to settle for the three and a place in the next round of the competition.

Next up for Rovers is a Sky Bet League One game with table-topping Plymouth Argyle at The Memorial Stadium on Saturday October 22nd, kick-off 3pm.

Rovers: Jaakkola, Hoole, Kilgour (c), Thomas, Clarke, Westbrooke, Lawrence, McCormick, Jasper, Coburn, Anderson.

Subs: Belshaw, Gordon, Coutts, Finley, Evans, Loft, Collins.

Swindon Town: Brown, Iandolo, Reed, Aguiar, Lavinier, Harries, Shade, Parsons, Roberts, Brennan, Darcy.

Subs: Brann, Adeloye, Minturn, Cowmeadow, Massey, Fox, Keyes.

Read Time: 3 mins