04.10.22 Match Report - Rovers 2-0 Palace

A return to winning ways for the Gas!

The Gas cooked up a feast in the Papa John's Trophy, delivering a first competition defeat on Crystal Palace with a tasty two-nil win. 

Joey Barton made eight changes to the team that started against Exeter City on Saturday. Summer signing Josh Coburn made the bench, alongside James Gibbons and Lewis Gibson, who both made a welcome return from injury. 

There was a first start for recent signing Syl Jasper - and he very nearly marked it with a goal in the 28th minute, but Palace goalkeeper Whitworth pulled off a sensational save from close range.


The tricky winger had the game's next chance on 38 minutes when his shot from 15 yards was deflected behind for a corner.

Harvey Saunders then danced through two challenges before striking a bobbling shot straight at Whitworth from twenty-five yards. A minute later, the Palace 'keeper sliced a clearance straight onto Saunders' head but the ball ballooned over an empty net.

The Gas did strike in first-half injury time, however, as Coutts' delicious corner had Alfie Kilgour licking his lips and the centre-half rose highest to power home a header from ten yards.


The half-time interval saw two lucky Rovers fans try to win a year's supply of pizzas by landing a football on the penalty spot. The Rovers' substitutes also tried their hand but no-one was successful. 

The Gas made two changes for the second-half, with Thomas and debutant Coburn replacing goalscorer Kilgour who had taken a kick to the head and John Marquis.

Coburn won a free-kick in the 53rd minute down by the right-hand corner flag, but Coutts' set-piece was cleared.

Saunders was shown a yellow card for sliding in on Gordon in the 55th minute, before James Gibbons made his return from injury, replacing Luca Hoole. Lewis Gibson also got a pizza the action, replacing Luke McCormick at the same time. Jasper was booked for a trip in the 63rd minute, as both sides struggled to take control of the game. 

Palace's best chance fell to Ozoh after 66 minutes, but his right-footed shot was sliced well wide of Jaakkola's goal.

Saunders was replaced by the in-form Ryan Loft after 70 minutes, and was straight in the action, swapping passes with Coburn before Palace cleared.


The Gas made it two-nil in the 73rd minute when Trevor Clarke cut inside after a marauding run and fired home with his right-foot from the edge of the box.

Loft saw yellow for leaving a foot in a minute later as the game got a little spicy. The weather, however, was less than Hawaiian, with the October air beginning to bite. Tempers flared again after 82 as Clarke was hauled to the floor as he broke away with the ball following a great save by Jaakkola. Glenn Whelan was shown a straight red in the aftermath, presumably for dissent. 

Palace's Phillips was then shown a yellow for leading with his elbow on Jasper, who had to leave the field for treatment.

From the free-kick, Gibson made an intelligent run but fired just wide.

A late chance for Palace saw the bar come to Jaakkola's rescue from a header, before referee Oldham called time, leaving plenty of good things for Rovers to takeaway from the game.

Next up for Rovers is a Sky Bet League One game against Cambridge United at The Memorial Stadium on Saturday 8th October, with a 3pm kick-off.

Rovers: Jaakkola, Kilgour, Westbrooke, Marquis, Jasper, Coutts (C), Clarke, Saunders, McCormick, Whelan, Hoole.

Subs: Belshaw, Finley, Gibson, Loft, Gibbons, Thomas, Coburn

Crystal Palace: Whitworth, Gordon (C), Balmer, Grehan, Adebomi, Omilabu, Phillips, Watson, Cadogan, Ozoh, Rodney.

Subs: Izquierdo, Imray, Mooney, Akinwale, Raymond, Bell.

Referee: James Oldham

Read Time: 3 mins