14102022 Match Report Cheltenham Rovers

Victory in Gloucestershire!

A stunning first-half performance from Rovers secured all three points against Cheltenham Town as the Gas extended their winning run in the league to three games in a row.

Joey Barton made two changes to the side that started the game against MK Dons on Tuesday evening. In came Antony Evans and Sam Finley for Luke McCormick and Josh Coburn who started the game on the substitutes' bench.

Cheltenham goalkeeper Luke Southwood slid out of his area with the ball in his hands to give Rovers a free-kick in the game's opening stages. Paul Coutts looked to drive the ball hard and low across the Cheltenham penalty area but the hosts were smart to it and were able to intercept and clear the danger.

Rovers raced into an early lead. Aaron Collins capitalised on a poor back pass and was able to round Southwood and roll the ball into an empty net for his seventh league goal of the season.


Cheltenham looked to respond following their early set-back. Lewis Freestone's header was bundled away by Rovers and the lead remained intact.

Rovers galloped into a two-goal lead soon after. Neat play from Sam Finley and goalscorer Aaron Collins ended with the latter clipping the ball towards the back post where Antony Evans was on hand to head the ball past Southwood for his third goal this season.

JMP_Cheltenham_Town_v_Bristol_Rovers_KR_032 (1).JPG

Former Rovers man Ryan Broom looked to break after a loose touch from Bobby Thomas. Expert defending from Jordan Rossiter shepherded the Cheltenham no.32 away from goal.

Rovers had their third just before the half-time interval. A Paul Coutts corner was met by Bobby Thomas who fired his header back across the goal for his second goal for the Gas.

JMP_Cheltenham_Town_v_Bristol_Rovers_KR_041 (1).JPG

As the clock ticked into added time at the end of the first half the Gas made it four. A long kick downfield from Belshaw was brought down magnificently and he kept his composure to round Southwood for the second time in the game, scoring his eighth of the season.

JMP_Cheltenham_Town_v_Bristol_Rovers_KR_036 (2).JPG

After the interval, the home side were awarded a penalty in the 53rd minute after Finley was adjudged to have committed a foul in the box. Former Rovers player Liam Sercombe kept his composure from the spot to grab a goal back for the Robins.

Rovers then survived after a long throw-in from the right was flicked on the edge of the six-yard box but they were relieved to see the assistant’s flag raised for a free kick. Soon after Evans picked up a loose ball outside the area after Coutts has played a wonderfully flighted ball out to the right wing. Evan’s shot however cleared the crossbar.

Belshaw was called into action for the first time in the second half to make a smart save to keep out a Ryan Broom effort from a tight angle and the subsequent corner was cleared away to safety.
With just under twenty minutes to play Gibson entered the referee’s notebook for a late tackle on the halfway line.

Joey Barton then made a double switch with Harry Anderson replacing Loft and Josh Coburn coming on for Jordan Rossiter. Luke McCormick then entered the fray, replacing Sam Finley, as the game ticked into the final ten minutes.

For the final Gas change Gibson came off for Trevor Clarke and Collins came off for Luca Hoole.
A late Robins’ cross caused danger in the area but substitute Hoole did well to clear as the Gas comfortably saw out the game to their third league win in a row.

Next up for the Gas is the Papa John’s Trophy clash against Swindon Town at The Memorial Stadium on Tuesday 18 October at 19:00.

Cheltenham Town: Luke Southwood, Sean Long (c), Caleb Taylor, Lewis Freestone, Ryan Jackson, Ben Williams, Liam Sercombe, Elliot Bonds, Taylor Perry, Ryan Broom, Dan N'Lundulu.

Subs: Shaun MacDonald, Tom Bradbury, Charlie Brown, Ellis Chapman, Christian Norton, James Olayinka, Daniel Adshead.

Rovers: James Belshaw, Lewis Gordon, Lewis Gibson, Bobby Thomas, James Gibbons, Paul Coutts (c), Jordan Rossiter, Sam Finley, Antony Evans, Aaron Collins, Ryan Loft.

Subs: Anssi Jaakkola, Josh Coburn, Sylvester Jasper, Luke McCormick, Harry Anderson, Trevor Clarke, Luca Hoole.

Referee: Samuel Barrott.

Attendance: 5145 (1430 away)

Read Time: 4 mins