06.08.22 Match Report - Burton 0-4 Rovers

Rovers romp to a 4-0 victory at the Pirelli Stadium to seal our first win of the League One season.

First-half goals from Evans, Connolly and an Aaron Collins brace sealed all three points for the Gas.

Rovers made three changes to the starting line-up as they looked to bounce back from the opening day defeat to Forest Green Rovers. New signing Lewis Gordon was thrust straight into the starting XI for his Rovers debut.


There were only 49 seconds on the clock when Burton’s Shaughnessy was caught napping at the back and was forced into fouling John Marquis. The Rovers number 9 was clean through on goal so referee Joyce was left with little choice but to brandish a straight red card.


As if that wasn’t enough punishment for the Brewers, Evans stepped up to fire expertly home from the free kick and give the Gas a dream start in Staffordshire.

JMP_Burton_Albion_v_Bristol_Rovers_RS_045.JPGIt got even better on 12 minutes. A corner was worked short to Evans and he crossed deep into the Burton box for James Connolly to stab home for his second goal in a Rovers shirt.


It was almost three after 20 minutes when Sam Finley, restored to the starting line-up, charged forward and fired a shot narrowly wide from 25 yards. It was all Gas and new signing Gordon was enjoying lots of space down the left flank. 


It was his cross that Loft headed over and Marquis then had a goalbound effort deflected over, before Harry Anderson raced clean through, only to drag his shot wide of the target. It was no exaggeration to say Rovers could be five goals to the good. Burton finally mustered an attack after 38 minutes as a fine touch from Jonny Smith almost saw a chance for Adeboyejo. 

They were made to pay a minute later. Anderson fed Collins and he took a touch onto his left foot before firing into the top corner past Garrett. The 'keeper was suffering from Brewers’ droop after 44 minutes as Rovers made it 4-0. Marquis set Collins free down the left, he cut inside onto his right and steered home for his eighth goal in his last four games. 


Burton made one change at half-time, with Butcher replacing Borthwick-Jackson.

The Gas took a while to get going in the second-half but Marquis was inches away from opening his account. Loft’s cross in the 53rd minute was slightly behind the striker but his connection on the header was sweet. Unfortunately, it cannoned back off the bar. A minute later, it was Loft’s turn to go agonisingly close; a cross from the right just being cleared as he waited to pounce. 

Glenn Whelan replaced Finley after 66 minutes before Keillor-Dunn headed just over from Burton’s clearest chance of the afternoon. Powell then headed just wide as the home side pushed for a consolation.

Whelan was shown a yellow card for a foul in the 71st minute. Harvey Saunders then entered the fray, replacing debutant Gordon, who was greeted on the touchline with a hug from boss Barton.

Seconds later, the substitute raced clear from his own half. He looked odds-on to score but Garrett stood tall and deflected behind for a corner. Rovers were continuing to carve through the beleaguered Burton defence at will but couldn’t add to the four first-half goals in front of the travelling 1,318 Gasheads.


Evans went close in the 81st minute; his long-range effort parried by Garrett and the rebound fired over by Gibbons. 

Marquis then showed a deft touch to set up Collins for a chance for his hat-trick. The striker feigned to shoot on his right, switching back on his left but his fierce shot was blocked from 15 yards. 

Kilgour and Lawrence replaced Loft and Evans in the 88th minute. 

Marquis then set up Saunders for another effort but his left-foot drive flew inches wide. 

Next up for Rovers is a Carabao Cup game at Crawley on Tuesday, 9th August. (kick-off 7.45pm).

Burton Albion: Ben Garratt, John Brayford ©, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Deji Oshilaja, Sam Hughes, Davis Keillor-Dunn, Jonny Smith, Tyler Onyango, Victor Adeboyejo, Conor Shaughnessy, Tom Hamer.

Subs: Viljami Sinisalo, Calum Butcher, Joe Powell, Gassan Ahadme, Ciaran Gilligan, Louis Moult, Quevin Castro.

Rovers: James Belshaw, James Connolly, Lewis Gordon, Sam Finley ©, John Marquis, Aaron Collins, Ryan Loft, Harry Anderson, Antony Evans, James Gibbons, Luca Hoole.

Subs: Jed Ward, Alfie Kilgour, Harvey Saunders, Glenn Whelan, Harvey Greenslade, Jerry Lawrence, Ryan Jones.

Referee: Ross Joyce

Attendance: 3,363.


Read Time: 4 mins