Port vale v Rovers match Report 18042022

Rovers are victorious at Vale Park in a game which saw James Connolly and Ryan Loft both score their first goals for the club!

Antony Evans returned to the starting line-up ahead of the clash at Vale Park with Sam Nicholson dropping to the bench.


The Gas suffered an early setback in the game. James Wilson's cross deflected off Jamie Proctor and past a helpless Belshaw to give the Valiants an early one-nil lead at Vale Park despite cries for offside from the Rovers players. 

Connor Taylor was shown the first caution of the tie just past the eighth minute. after a crunching challenge on James Wilson. It took the Gas only minutes to draw level. A precise pass from Captain Paul Coutts found Elliot Anderson who made no mistake with his finish, firing hard and true past Stone in the roof of the Vale net.


The Gas took the lead for the first time in the game 10 minutes before the break. An enticing Antony Evans corner goes all the way to the back post where James Connolly was on hand to bundle the ball home for his first Rovers goal.


The home side put the Gas under pressure at the start of the second half. Benning tried to work an angle to put the ball into the box. The winger was expertly tracked by Luca Hoole who managed to squeeze the ball out for a corner kick to the hosts.

A David Worrall cross fell kindly to Mal Benning inside the Rovers penalty area. The Vale No.11 looked to fire a powerful effort towards the goal but was swarmed by the Rovers defenders and Connor Taylor threw himself in front of the goalbound effort where it bounced behind for a corner kick.

A neat turn from James Wilson presented substitute Dan Jones with a chance to run at goal. Belshaw was quick off his line to close down the Vale attacker and Jones' poked effort rolled behind for a goal kick to the Gas.

The first Rovers changes were introduced with just under 10 minutes left to play. Nick Anderton replacing Antony Evans and Ryan Loft coming on for Aaron Collins.

The final Rovers change saw Paul Coutts replaced by Glenn Whelan as the Gas looked to see the game out.

Ryan Loft finished the tie deep into added time. A superb Sam Finley ball played in the striker who lofted his finish over Stone in front of the ecstatic 2,222 travelling Gasheads for his first goal for the club.


The win keeps the Gas in the hunt for the automatic play-off places and face league leaders Forest Green Rovers in our double-header on Saturday, 23rd April where our women's team will play immediately after at The Mem.

PORT VALE: Stone, Hall, Smith (c), Worrall, Garrity, Wilson, Benning, Proctor, Martin, Taylor, Charsley.

Subs: Holy, Jones, Hussey, Amoo, Robinson, Harratt, Edmondson.

ROVERS: Belshaw, Hoole, Grant, Connolly, Taylor, Finley, Coutts (c), Evans, E Anderson, Collins, H Anderson.

Subs: Ward, T Clarke, Nicholson, Whelan, Loft, Anderton, Thomas.

Referee: C Hicks

Attendance: 10,840 (2,222 away)

Read Time: 3 mins