09.04.22 Match Report - Tranmere v Rovers

Rovers settle for a point in the North West.

The Gas were held to a draw at Prenton Park. Elliot Anderson got Rovers back on level terms with a smart finish on the turn after Kane Hemmings had fired the hosts in front.

Rovers entered the game unchanged from last weekend's victory against Bradford City with Josh Grant and Nick Anderton returning to the matchday squad.


Elliot Anderson drove at the Tranmere defence right off the bat. The Newcastle loanee forcing an early corner for Rovers, which ultimately led to nothing after a foul in the Tranmere penalty area.

Sam Nicholson held the ball up well following a neat passage of play from the Gas. The Scotsman then had the vision to roll the ball back to Sam Finley who dragged his effort from range past Joe Murphy's post.

Tranmere had their first venture towards Belshaw's goal just past the 20-minute mark. A number of crosses one after the other put pressure on the Rovers defence. Luca Hoole was well placed to block a dangerous effort from the hosts and the Gas were able to clear their lines.

The hosts registered theirs and the game's first effort on target in the 33rd minute. Elliott Nevitt bore down on Taylor and Connolly in the Rovers backline and pulled the trigger from about 20-yards out. Belshaw sprung to his left to beat the ball behind for a corner kick. Lee O'Connor fired his attempt high and wide following the corner kick.

Rovers had shouts for a penalty waved away moments after the second half got underway. The ball appeared to hit the elbow of the Tranmere defender following Trevor Clarke's cross. Kane Hemmings found himself one-on-one with Belshaw following a long ball from Murphy. The Tranmere No.10 kept his composure and smashed the ball past a helpless Belshaw to put the hosts one to the good.

Rovers made the first changes of the game following the goal. Trevor Clarke and Sam Nicholson were replaced by Josh Grant and Leon Clarke as the Gas pushed for a leveller.


Elliott Nevitt came close to putting Tranmere two up. A mistake from Connor Taylor presented the forward with a chance to shoot at goal. Belshaw was down smartly to stop the Tranmere No. 20 finding the back of the net.

It wasn't long before the Gas were back on level terms. Elliot Anderson bought a high ball under control in the box and turned to fire low and true into the bottom left-hand corner of Murphy's goal. Elliot came close to his second only minutes later. Last-ditch defending from O'Connor denied the midfielder from putting us two ahead. 


Point blank reactions from Belshaw once again denied the hosts, this time from close range following a corner kick.

Rovers pushed and pushed for a late winner to take all three points back to The Mem. However, it wasn't to be and the Gas had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Next up for Rovers is the visit of Salford City to BS7 on Friday, 15th April (3pm KO).

ROVERS: Belshaw, Hoole, Connolly, Taylor, T Clarke, Coutts (c), Finley, Nicholson, Collins, E Anderson, H Anderson.

Subs: Ward, Grant, Anderton, L Clarke, Thomas, Whelan, Saunders.

TRANMERE: Murphy, Dacres-Cogley, Knight-Percival, Merrie, Hemmings, McManaman, Hawkes, Warrington, Nevitt, O'Connor, Clarke (c).

Subs: Doohan, Spearing, Jolley, Foley, Maynard, Hayde.

Referee: Marc Edwards

Read Time: 3 mins