23.04.22 Match Report - Rovers v FGR

The clash at the Memorial Stadium finished with the points being shared to give the visitors the point they needed to seal automatic promotion to League One.

An end-to-end first half saw both teams have chances to take the lead. Antony Evans had a great chance in the fourth minute but he put his left-footed effort wide of the target after some great build-up play from Harry Anderson, Sam Finley, and Aaron Collins.


James Belshaw was well-positioned early on to pull off a point-blank save, which deflected back into the penalty box for James Connolly to get a decisive block to force the ball away for a corner.

The threat of Jamille Matt and his link-up play with Ebrina Adams was well stewarded by Paul Coutts, James Connolly and Connor Taylor with Adams being booked for simulation, showing the visitors' frustrations at not being able to dominate the game.

The second-half saw more of the same from both sides, with Forest Green starting to take their time over restarts. Goalkeeper Luke McGee was cautioned by referee Gavin Ward, who dished out a total of nine yellows in the game; five for Rovers and 4 for the visitors.

Elliot Anderson was causing problems cutting in from the flanks and was a nuisance to the Forest Green defence, forcing McGee into a smart save. McGee was also called into action later in the half keeping Luke Thomas' bending strike out with another good save.

Former Forest Green striker, Aaron Collins was a whisker away from connecting to an Evans cross, with the Thatchers End watching on with their hands on their heads. 


Matt had few clear-cut chances for the visitors, with the best one saved by Belshaw, which would prove to be a match-saving moment.

The introduction of Thomas, Ryan Loft and Harry Saunders midway through the second-half showed the intent to win, but Forest Green held out for the draw.

The next game at The Mem is on Saturday 7th May against Scunthorpe, 3pm kick-off.

Attendance: 9,690 (737 away)

BRISTOL ROVERS – Belshaw, Connolly, Finley (67), Collins, E. Anderson, Coutts, Anderton (67), Taylor, H. Anderson, Evans (89), Hoole.

Subs – Jaakkola, Thomas (67), Nicholson, Clarke, Saunders (89), Whelan, Loft (67).

FOREST GREEN ROVERS – McGee, Wilson, Cargill, Stevens, Adams, Aitchison (86), Cadden (83), Matt (83), Moore-Taylor, Hendry, Godwin-Malife.

Subs – Thomas, Bernard (83), Sweeney, Young, Diallo, McAteer (86), March (83).

Referee: Gavin Ward.


Read Time: 2 mins