Larry Lloyd | 1948 - 2024

Everyone associated with Bristol Rovers FC is saddened to learn of the passing of former defender Larry Lloyd at 75-years old.

Born in Bristol on October 6 1948, Larry turned professional with Rovers in July 1967 and became the 393rd player to represent the club in the league when he made his debut in a 1-1 draw against Watford at Eastville on 10th August 1968.

A central defender, he spent less than a year as a regular in Rovers’ Second Division side as Bill Shankly signed him for Liverpool in April 1969 after he had made just 43 league appearances for the club.

He won the first of his four England caps in a goalless draw against Wales in May 1971 and during his time at Anfield he was in the side beaten by Arsenal in the 1971 FA Cup Final and a member of the side that won the First Division title in 1972/73. In addition, there was a European medal, as Liverpool beat Borussia Monchengladbach in the 1973 UEFA Cup Final.

After four goals in 150 league appearances for Liverpool he joined Coventry City in August 1974 but after just 50 league games he was on the move again, when Brian Clough signed him for Nottingham Forest, initially on loan.

The move was made permanent in November 1976 and Larry went on to win the First Division title with them in 1977/78, was a League Cup winner with them in 1978 and 1979 and capped it all with a European Cup win, also in 19079, when Forest beat Malmo in Munich.

There was another European Cup medal the following year when Forest successfully defended their crown, beating Hamburg in the Madrid final.

His Forest career took in 148 league games, and he continued playing after joining Wigan Athletic as player/manager in March 1981. Later he was manager of Notts County and took over as boss of Real Marbella in 2009. He returned to this country in 2021 and lived in the Nottingham area.

Along the way he ran a public house in Nottingham for 11 years, and then ran a pub on the Costa Del Sol and later sold property in Spain.

His autobiography ‘Hard Man, Hard Game’ was published in 2008 and, on a promotional book tour that year he called in at the Memorial Stadium for the game between Rovers and Huddersfield Town.

Our thoughts are with Larry’s family and friends at this sad time.

* Written by Keith Brookman

Read Time: 3 mins