Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Darrell Clarke



Darrell joined the club in time for the start of pre-season training in the summer of 2013, having left his position as manager of Salisbury City.

He joined Salisbury as a player in 2007, becoming player-manager in 2010. 

During his first season in charge, the club won promotion from the Southern League Premier Division, via the play offs. 

His second season saw Salisbury progress through to the third round of the FA Cup, for the first time in the club’s history. 

In 2012/13 Clarke led the club to Conference football, after again gaining promotion through the play offs. 

His playing career began at Mansfield Town, where he progressed through the youth system and signed as a professional in 1995. 
He went on to appear in 160 league games for the Stags, scoring 25 goals in the process. 
He moved to Hartlepool in 2001, where he remained until the end of the 2006/07 season, scoring 19 goals in 127 league appearances. 
Whilst at Victoria Park he made loan appearances for Stockport, Port Vale and Rochdale. 
Following the appointment of John Ward as Director of Football, Darrell took over as manager and oversaw a victory in his first game in charge as Rovers beat Morecambe 1-0 at the Memorial Stadium on 29th March 2014. 
He was in charge for the final eight games of the season but was unable to prevent the club dropping into non league football after an unbroken stint of 94 years as a Football League Club. 
Over the course of that summer he began assembling a squad capable of challenging for a return to the Football League at the first attempt. 
Ultimately, he was successful, and even though his side finished a point behind Vanarama Conference Champions Barnet they triumphed in the play offs, beating Forest Green Rovers in the two legged semi final and overcoming Grimsby Town after a penalty shootout in a tense Promotion Final at Wembley 

He built on that success last season, by guiding the club to a second successive promotion thanks to a last day victory against Dagenham & Redbridge in front of a crowd of over 11,000 at The Memorial Stadium. 
In guiding the team to promotion he became the first Bristol Rovers manager to achieve back to back promotions. 
Head hunted by Leeds United in the summer of 2016 he accepted an offer of a new three year contract at The Memorial Stadium and is now looking forward to the challenge of being in charge for our first season back in League One.