Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 December 2016

Club News


17 December 2016

Shrewsbury Town 2-0 Bristol Rovers

Attendance: 6,139 (1509 away)

A first-half Louis Dodds strike and a second-half penalty from Ian Black resulted in Rovers leaving Greenhous Meadow empty-handed.

Rovers named an unchanged side from their victory over Bury last weekend for the encounter against the Shrews, with the only change of the teamsheet coming in the shape of Chris Lines' reintroduction to the matchday squad, as the midfielder replaced Daniel Leadbitter on the bench.

The hosts included experienced striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake in their starting eleven, who was brought in as a straight swap for the suspended Ivan Toney.

Rovers didn't have to wait long for their first opportunity on goal, as Rory Gaffney forced the home side into conceding an early corner and from the left-hand side Charlie Colkett produced an inviting delivery that was headed narrowly over the crossbar by Peter Hartley.

Gaffney was again involved just moments later when the striker used his body to shield the ball from the Shrewsbury defence and from the edge area he produced a driven shot that dragged narrowly past the post.

Shrewsbury created early chances of their own, with winger Jim O'Brien managing to dribble into the Rovers area and from the touchline he fired a cross across the face of goal that escaped his fellow teammates. The winger found himself in the right place to profit from a loose ball inside the Rovers area shortly after, but off balance, he could slice a volley wide of the target. 

Shrewsbury took the lead in the sixteenth minute when a driven cross into the area wasn't dealt with the Rovers defence and Louis Dodds was able to snatch possession and go around 'keeper Will Puddy, who was stranded on the floor, before slotting the ball into the net.

The home continued to create opportunities, with a deep cross from the right finding Junior Brown at the far post, who then cushioned a header back across goal that was flicked over the crossbar by Will Puddy. Brown's effort was followed by a long-range attempt by Ian Black that almost dipped onto target from thirty yards out.

A neat interchange on down the left-wing freed up Charlie Colkett, who then angled a pass in the path of the advancing Matty Taylor, but the forward couldn't bring down the bouncing ball and Shrew's 'keeper Jayson Leutwiler charged off his line to clear the danger.

A free-kick in a dangerous central position was won by Matty Taylor but from the set-piece, Charlie Colkett couldn't keep his shot on target and his effort rose well over the target.

Just prior to the break, the hosts created an opportunity to extend their slender lead when a chipped cross from Junior Brown fell kindly for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, who's poked an attempt on goal with an outstretched boot but his shot flew wide of Will Puddy's right-hand post.

At half-time Rovers made a double change as Ellis Harrison and Chris Lines replaced Hiram Boateng and Charlie Colkett. 

In the fifteen minutes that followed the restart, Rovers enjoyed the majority of the possession, but couldn't convert their share of the ball into chances, with the home side reluctant to commit too many forward in attack.

Rovers made their final change with twenty-five minutes left in the game, as Stuart Sinclair made way for Billy Bodin.

The home side benefitted from a penalty inside the final twenty minutes when Junior Brown's cross made contact with Peter Hartley's hand inside the area. Ian Black stepped up to take the penalty kick and convert his effort powerfully past Will Puddy to double the Shrew's advantage.

The Gas weren't unable to create any late chances to force a way back into the contest and Shrewsbury held out to seal the victory.

Next up for Rovers is the visit of Coventry City to the Mem on Boxing Day.

Shrewsbury Town: Jayson Leutwiler (G), Mat Sadler, Olly Lancashire, Ian Black, Abu Ogogo (C), Louis Dodds (90+ Joe Riley), Jim O'Brien (79' Shaun Whalley), Junior Brown, Jack Grimmer, Dom Smith, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (77' George Waring)

Subs: Mark Halstead (G), Ethan Jones, Ryan Barnett, Ryan Sears.

Rovers: Will Puddy; James Clarke, Tom Lockyer (C), Peter Hartley, Lee Brown; Ollie Clarke, Stuart Sinclair (64' Billy Bodin), Hiram Boateng (45' Chris Lines), Charlie Colkett (45' Ellis Harrison), Matty Taylor, Rory Gaffney.

Subs: Kelle Roos (G), Luke James, Lee Mansell, Jermaine Easter.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account