Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


6 October 2015

Club News


6 October 2015

Bristol Rovers 2-0 Wycombe Wanderers

Attendance: 3,243 (123)

Bristol Rovers advanced into the next round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy thanks to a comfortable win against Wycombe Wanderers.

Goals from Matty Taylor and Jermaine Easter inside the opening 15 minutes sealed Rovers passage into the area Quarter-Finals.

Darrell Clarke made four changes to the side that won at Morecambe at the weekend bringing Daniel Leadbitter, Tom Parkes, Chris Lines and Cristian Montano into the starting 11.

Rovers started the game like a house on fire pressuring Wycombe high up the field and that paid off with only four minutes on the clock as Matty Taylor picked up the ball outside the area and curled a right footed effort past Matt Ingram.

Wanderers had a good chance to get back into the game moments later as Aaron Pierre headed the ball onto the crossbar before Lee Nicholls denied Matt Bloomfield with a point blank reaction save.

Darrell Clarke's side doubled their lead with just over 10 minutes of the game played as Billy Bodin unlocked the Wycombe defence to play in Jermaine Easter who thumped the ball past Ingram.

Wycombe had another chance to get themselves back into the game but Max Kretzschmar dragged his shot left of the target.

The home side continued to attack what looked like a fragile Chairboy's back line as Cristian Montano played the ball into Jermaine Easter who's shot was deflected into the arms of Matt Ingram.

Just before half time Billy Bodin twisted and turned in the penalty area to create space for a shot but he was unable to make it three goals in three games as he fired his shot over the crossbar.

Darrell Clarke's men came out in the second half with the same intensity that they started the first and almost increased their lead instantly through Cristian Montano. Billy Bodin was able to pick out the Colombian who was denied by the fingertips of Ingram.

Billy Bodin's energy and movement was a constant threat for Rovers and following a neat flick by Matty Taylor, Bodin advanced onto goal but was denied by the legs of Ingram.

Rovers dominated the early going in the second half as Mark McChrystal shot wide from close range before Tom Parkes played an intricate one two with Billy Bodin before slicing his shot wide of the goal.

Wycombe offered very little in the second half but on the hour mark Stephen McGinn took a snap shot across his body but his effort was well over Lee Nicholls' crossbar.

In what was a reasonably open game, Wycombe skipper Matt Bloomfield picked up the ball and powered through the Rovers backline before picking out Jason Banton on the edge of the area who's shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Matty Taylor was a constant thorn in the side of Aaron Pierre and with 15 minutes left to play, Taylor lost his marker on a free kick before glancing a header goalwards which Matt Ingram got down low to gather well.

Moments later, Taylor found space on the right hand side of the pitch and his delivery was met by Cristian Montano who guided his effort just over the crossbar from close range.

The win this evening means Rovers advance into the area Quarter-Finals with the draw taking place Saturday morning on Soccer AM.

Rovers have a weekend off following the postponement of our SkyBet League Two meeting with Wycombe this weekend before taking the trip North to take on Mansfield Town on Saturday 17th October at the One Call Stadium.

Rovers: Nicholls; Leadbitter, Parkes, McChrystal (C), Brown; Bodin, Sinclair (O. Clarke - 74), Lines, Montano (Lyttle - 90); Taylor, Easter (Blissett - 87).

Unused Substitutes: Mildenhall (GK), Kilgour.

Wycombe: Ingram; Jombati, Sellers (O'Nein - 73), Rowe, Pierre, Banton, Bloomfield, McGinn, Wood, Kretzschmar (Jacobson - 87), Amadi-Holloway (Thompson - 87).

Unused Substitutes: Lynch (GK), Ugwu.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account