Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 February 2015

Club News


17 February 2015

Bristol Rovers 3-0 Torquay United

Harrison Trueman, Connor Jones and Blake Davies were on target for our U-18 side in their 3-0 win against Torquay United last Saturday.

In what was their first game in Merit League Two, it was a far from impressive performance by Alan Walsh’s side, who finished the game with ten men following Laurent Davis-Wilson’s red card.

“It was a good result” said Alan, “but the scoreline doesn’t tell the story of the game.

“We actually started quite brightly and scored after 15 minutes when from out on the right Tom Fry curled a free kick in towards the back post and Harrison Trueman scored comfortably from close range.

“I have to say, though, that we were fortunate to hang on to our lead after that as Torquay created four or five good chances. That they didn’t manage to find the back of the net was really down to bad finishing on their part, though we rode our luck on more than one occasion.

“We hung on, though, and somehow managed to double our advantage just before half time. Tyler Lyttle picked up ball inside his own half and drove into midfield. On the edge of the area he attempted to play a one two with Blake Davies but the return ball from Blake came off of Tyler’s leg and fell into the path of Connor Jones, who curled a shot into the corner of the net from 18 yards.”

And so his side went into the half time interval two goals to the good, even though they might have been at least four goals behind given how poorly they had played in the opening period.

“I asked the boys to up their game in the second half and, to be fair, they did and we were marginally the better side for the next 45 minutes though neither side really created too many chances.

“We were reduced to ten men on 65 minutes when Laurent, who was back in the side following three months out, was sent off following a moment of indiscipline. He will now miss another three games, something he can ill afford to do.”

Even though they were forced to play with ten men for the remaining 25 minutes, his side sealed a win thanks to a third goal scored with 15 minutes remaining.

“A good passage of play around their box saw the ball come out to Connor and he floated a ball into Blake who was some 18 yards from goal and he controlled the ball before beating the goalkeeper with a good finish.

“It wasn’t one of our best performances but on, the positive side, we won the game, scored three goals, and kept another clean sheet.”

Rovers: Cameron Clarke, Tyler Lyttle, Tom Fry (Bradley Confrey, 75), Harrison Trueman, Alfie Kilgour, Connor Jones, Elliott Green, George Corp (Lewis Ellington, 50), Blake Davies (Sam Blake, 70), Laurent Davis-Wilson, Ryan Broom

Substitute: Kieran Preston

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account