Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Focus On - Crawley Town

2 September 2021



Crawley and Bristol Rovers have clashed just 5 times in Bristol, with 3 Rovers wins and 2 draws. The first tie at the Mem on 14 January 2012 ended 0-0 as Crawley went on to promotion.

The teams next met in the FA Cup in 2013-14 and the game at the Mem again finished 0-0.

On 2 April 2016 Matty Taylor gave Rovers a 53rd minute lead with a powerful header from Liam Lawrence's corner.

Lawrence turned from provider to scorer 22 minutes later as he struck home an exquisite 25-yard free-kick before Taylor netted a second header soon after following Chris Lines' corner.

Cristian Montano could have added a fourth, but Callum Preston saved well.

On 15 November 2016 the teams drew one another in an FA Cup first Round replay after a 1-1 draw, 10 days earlier. Matty Taylor headed the Gas in front from a Chris Lines cross in the 34th minute, only for Jordan Roberts to lash in a left-footed equaliser from a corner in first-half injury time. Rory Gaffney, who had hit a post in the opening 45 minutes, made it 2-1 to Rovers seven minutes after the break, beating Crawley goalkeeper Glenn Morris at his near post.

Red’s substitute Matt Harrold netted against his old club in the 65th minute from a chance set up by fellow replacement Enzio Boldewijn. Gaffney scored his second of the game as he bundled the ball home in the 96th minute. Taylor made it 4-2 six minutes later with a penalty after Luke James had been fouled.

The last time the teams crossed paths was on 14 August 2018 in a 1st Round Carabao Cup tie. The deadlock was broken on the half-hour mark a corner from the right by Sam Matthews picked out Stefan Payne. The striker guided the ball into a dangerous area, which allowed Kyle Bennett to guide a header into the far corner to open the scoring. Inside the final ten minutes, Rovers extended their slender lead. Ollie Clarke ran with purpose with the ball at his feet and took advantage of the ample time and space to drive a low effort towards goal that nestled in the bottom corner.

With just minutes left in the contest, the visitors did claw a goal back to make the final moment anxious for Darrell Clarke's side. A looping ball from the left was empathically headed home by defender Mark Connolly to give Crawley hope of a late comeback heading into the five minutes off added time.


Advertisement block