Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Central League Report: Bristol Rovers 4-1 Forest Green Rovers

15 October 2019

A brace from Harry Warwick and fine long-range strike from Michael Kelly and a goal from Deon Moore allowed the Development Squad to record victory over Forest Green Rovers in the Central League.

Rovers fielded a side that was a blend of youth and experience for the encounter with Forest Green Rovers. Mark Little was included on the teamsheet, with Deon Moore and Harry Warwick tasked with leading the attacking threat. In defence, Michael Kelly partnered with Rollin Menayese. 

A lively start from Rovers resulted in Cameron Hargreaves registering the opening chance of the game, with midfielder connecting sweetly with a shot from outside the box, only for the effort to rise sharply and narrowly over the crossbar.

The impressive start for Rovers was soon turned into an advantage in the game. A driving run forward from Mark Little saw the right-back break deep into the Forest Green half, as the defender was able to produce a low cross that was purposely left by Tomlinson, which created the opportunity for Harry Warwick to tap home from the goalmouth.

Warwick didn't have to wait long for an opportunity to add to his goal tally. Minutes later, in similar circumstances to the opening goal, a darting run forward from Cameron Hargreaves carved open the Forest Green defence, as the midfielder cut a pass back in the direction of Harry Warwick. The striker kept his composure to find the corner of the goal from ten yards out.

Rovers continued to find and create chances, with Deon Moore, Harry Warwick and Mark Little all having opportunities, but it looked like Lee Mansell's side would have to settle for a two-goal lead at the break.

That was until an effort from Michael Kelly from long-range nestled into the net, allowing the Development Squad to top off a positive first-half display with a healthy three-goal margin at the break.

Rovers continued their attacking threat after the break and were rewarded with a fourth goal just minutes after the restart. The move started with a pinpoint pass from Tom Mehew that swept across goal and found Deon Moore free. The striker matched the quality of the pass with a powerful finish that kept low and tucked inside the bottom corner. 

Mark Little completed sixty minutes on his return to action, as the right-back was replaced by one of the trialists named on the bench.

The Development Squad controlled the majority of the second half proceedings, but a soft penalty 20 minutes from time was the only negative of the afternoon, as Forest Green pulled a goal back from the spot.

In the closing stages, Harry Warwick went agonisingly close to sealing his hat-trick, with the striker producing a fine solo run before directing his effort inches over the crossbar, with Deon Moore also going close in the final minutes.

Rovers: Alexis Andre-Jr, Michael Kelly, Mark Little (60' Trialist), Harry Hodges, Rollin Menayese, Tom Mehew, Cameron Hargreaves (37' Luc Noble), Lewis Clutton, Lucas Tomlinson (60' Kieron Phillips), Deon Moore, Harry Warwick. 

Advertisement block