Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


15 October 2016

Bristol Rovers 2-1 Gillingham

Attendance: 9,489 (399)

Rovers came from behind yet again to beat Gillingham 2-1 at the Memorial Stadium.

Ellis Harrison's injury time winner wrapped up all three points after Chris Lines cancelled out Josh Wright's second half opener.

Darrell Clarke made four changes to the side that drew with Yeovil Town in the Checkatrade Trophy as Tom Lockyer returned from International duty to captain the side with Chris Lines, Charlie Colkett and Matty Taylor the other changes.

It was a very stop start opening 20 minutes at the Memorial Stadium as Deji Oshilaja and then Cody McDonald received treatment for the visitors whilst James Clarke was on the receiving end of a crunching tackle from Max Ehmer.

The best chance of the opening period came as Chris Lines struck a superb diagonal ball across field into the path of Lee Brown but the Rovers full back was unable to direct his effort on target with Jonathan Bond well beaten.

Minutes later after a neat turn and pass from Matty Taylor, Stuart Sinclair found himself in space inside the penalty area but blasted his shot into the side netting from a difficult angle.

Chances were at a premium for the visitors with their only effort coming as skipper Josh Wright tried his luck from range but his effort failed to trouble Kelle Roos in the Rovers goal.

At half time Rovers boss Darrell Clarke opted to change things up as Billy Bodin took to the field replacing James Clarke as Rovers looked to attack the Thatchers End for the second 45 minutes.

Rovers looked a lot more positive in the second half but early strikes from Billy Bodin and Matty Taylor failed to hit the target.

Chris Lines was continuing his impressive form of late as he burst through the midfield line, winning the ball back in the process where he was immediately fouled by Chris Herd. Lines picked himself up before curling a brilliant effort towards the bottom right corner of Jonathan Bond's goal. The Gillingham keeper was equal to it however, palming the ball behind for a Rovers corner.

From the resulting corner, Chris Lines picked out Lee Brown deep who tried his luck but his powerful effort was blocked well by the Gills defence.

For all of their initial pressure in the second half it was Gillingham who took the lead.

Ryan Jackson arrowed a long throw into the penalty area over a large group of players which fell at the feet of Gills skipper Josh Wright who was unmarked and calmly slotted the ball past Kelle Roos.

It took Rovers some time to recover from going a goal behind but with just over five minutes of normal time remaining Chris Lines anticipated a pass well, powered through the middle of the pitch and into the penalty area before calmly dispatching the ball beyond Jonathan Bond to pull Rovers level.

Darrell Clarke's side continued to press for that all important second goal when substitute Cristian Montano's cross from the left hand side fell into the path of Ellis Harrison who didn't hesitate before lashing the ball past Bond as the Thatchers End erupted.

The three points sends Darrell Clarke's side up into 8th place in the SkyBet League One table and up next for Rovers is the trip east to take on MK Dons on Tuesday evening before traveling north to take on Oldham Athletic next Saturday.

Rovers: Roos; Leadbitter, J. Clarke (Bodin - 46), Lockyer (C), Hartley, Brown; Lines, Sinclair (Montano - 68), Colkett; Taylor, Gaffney (Harrison - 60).

Unused Substitutes: Mildenahll (GK), Clarke-Salter, Boateng, James.

Gillingham: Bond; Jackson, Ehmer, Oshilaja, Konchesky; Herd, Wright (C), Wagstaff (Byrne - 63), Dack (List - 90), Hessenthaler; McDonald (Nouble - 23).

Unused Substitutes: Nelson (GK), Knott, Pask, Oldaker.

Advertisement block