Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


5 March 2016

Notts County 0-2 Bristol Rovers

Attendance: 5,052 (1,108)

Rovers put in a dominant display to beat Notts County 0-2 at Meadow Lane.

Cristian Montano's first goal for the club and a second half strike from Lee Brown was enough to wrap up all three points.

Darrell Clarke made one change to the side that won 4-1 against Hartlepool United on Tuesday night as Jermaine Easter came in replacing the injured Rory Gaffney.

Rovers started well as Billy Bodin and Lee Mansell linked up to capitalise on a mistake from Thierry Audel. Mansell's cross was cleared to early substitute Cristian Montano who's initial shot was palmed by Scott Loach.

The home side rarely threatened inside the opening 20 minutes with the Meadown Lane crowd getting on their backs when Jason Banton fired a shot across goal which was watched comfortably wide by Steve Mildenhall.

At the other end of the field, a slick passing move from Rovers found Billy Bodin in acres of space on the edge of the penalty only for the Welshman to lash his shot over the crossbar.

Banton was proving to be the only livewire for the Magpies and it was his driven cross along the six-yard area that caused Rovers real trouble before Cristian Montano was on hand to make a decisive block to prevent Wes Atkinson pulling the trigger at the far post.

County grew into the half and could have taken the lead on the half hour mark as Jon Stead fizzed a cross along the six-yard area but his strike partner Izale McLeod couldn't apply the vital touch.

Rovers continued to have large spells of possession in the first half when the ball was worked out to the left hand side and substitute Cristain Montano. The Colombian opted to take his man on, twisting Wes Atkinson inside out before hitting a powerful shot under Scott Loach.

Darrell Clarke's side came out firing in the second half when a superb passing move ended up with Billy Bodin finding Chris Lines who burst into the penalty area only to see his shot well saved by Scott Loach.

However, from the resulting corner Rovers doubled their lead. Montano flicked the ball short to Lines who picked out Lee Brown on the edge of the penalty area. Brown took a superb touch before rifling a low shot into the bottom corner of the goal.

The team in yellow continued to press in the search for more goals with efforts from Matty Taylor and Jermaine Easter both forcing good saves from Magpie keeper Scott Loach while at the other end of the pitch Steve Mildenhall was on hand to deal with everything the home side had to throw at him.

Rovers continued to dominate and create chances but Loach had a good second half in the County goal but it was Rovers who ran out comfortable 0-2 winners cementing their play-off place.

Up next for Rovers is two games at the Mem in a week as Darrell Clarke's men entertain AFC Wimbledon on Tuesday night before hosting Mansfield Town on Saturday afternoon.

County: Loach; Atkinson, Hewitt, Audel, Adams (Sharpe - 90); Campbell, Milsom, Thompson, Banton; Stead (C), McLeod (Murray - 70).

Unused Substitutes: Carroll (GK), Smith, Hollis, Noble, Burke.

Rovers: Mildenhall; J. Clarke, Lockyer, McChrystal (C), Brown; Bodin, Mansell, Lines (O. Clarke - 85), Lawrence (Montano - 4); Taylor, Easter (Fallon - 88).

Unused Substitutes: Puddy (GK), Leadbitter, Parkes, Broom.

Advertisement block