Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/03/2015

21 March 2015

Attendance: 7,071 (235)

Rovers returned to the top of the Vanarama Conference after an impressive second half display at the Memorial Stadium.

Second half goals from Andy Monkhouse and Matty Taylor secured the points for Rovers after Brett Williams canceled out Jermaine Easter's first goal for the club in the first half.

Darrell Clarke made three changes to the side that drew with Halifax last weekend bringing Will Puddy, Adam Dawson and Jermaine Easter into the starting 11 at the expense of Steve Mildenhall, Ollie Clarke and the suspended Lee Mansell.

The home side started very brightly and Adam Dawson created an opportunity for Jermaine Easter but the Welshman couldn't find the target after flicking the ball neatly over Phil Smith in the shots goal.

It was Rovers who took the lead after 12 minutes as Jermaine Easter opened his Bristol Rovers account from close range.

Adam Dawson powered down the Rovers right and crossed towards the centre of the goal, Aldershot failed to clear their lines and the ball fell to Easter who made no mistake firing home emphatically from eight yards out.

Aldershot grew into the game but failed to create any opportunities until Jordan Roberts dragged a deep corner wide of Will Puddy's left hand post.

However the Shots drew level just after the half hour mark as Rovers failed to clear their lines from a free kick and Brett Williams pounced to fire home his 13th goal of the season.

Rovers went in search of their second but were restricted to long range efforts as Adam Dawson shot from 35-yards but Phil Smith was able to gather the ball easily.

Darrell Clarke's men came out all guns blazing in the second half and from a neat counter attack had the first chance of the second half.

Jermaine Easter earned Rovers a corner and Chris Lines directed the ball towards the head of Tom Parkes, but the centre half headed wide under heavy pressure from Chris Barker.

Rovers took the lead for for the second time in the game as an inch perfect pass from Jermaine Easter into the path of Andy Monkhouse opened up the Aldershot defence. Monkhouse composed himself, took the ball around Joe Oastler before calmly powering the ball under Phil Smith.

Minutes later Rovers extended their lead as Matty Taylor tapped the ball in from close range.

Lee Brown found space on the Rovers left, drilled his cross along the six-yard area to the far post where Matty Taylor was on hand to give Rovers a two goal advantage.

After extending their lead, Rovers continued to attack and when Matty Taylor was bundled to the ground 30-yards out Chris Lines was persented with a golden opportunity to welcome himself back to the Memorial Stadium. Lines curled the free kick over the top of the wall but into the hands of Phil Smith.

Ellis Harrison took to the field with 20 minutes of the game remaining replacing fellow countryman Jermaine Easter. Easter received a standing ovation on his home debut after scoring Rovers first and setting up the second.

Aldershot never really formed a comeback and appeared to have the stuffing knocked out of them after Rovers three minute double salvo. Caretaker manager Chris Barker made three changes in the second period none of which having any real impact on the game.

Rovers had a chance to rub salt into the wound of the Shots in second half injury time as Ellis Harrison was seemingly fouled in the penalty area but the ball ran for fellow substitute Angelo Balanta but he could only fire into the side netting.

Tonight's win sends Rovers back to the top of the Vanarama Conference with six games remaining. Up next for Rovers is a trip north to take on third placed Macclesfield in front of the BT Sport cameras next Saturday (28th March) with the game kicking off at 12:30.

Rovers: Puddy, Leadbitter, McChrystal (C), Parkes, Brown, Dawson, Lockyer, Lines (Clarke - 90), Monkhouse, Taylor (Balanta - 82), Easter (Harrison - 70).

Unused Substitutes: Mildenhall (GK), Blissett.

Aldershot: Smith, Oastler (C) (Wilson - 82), McGinty, Lathrope, Barker (McOllin - 87), Hatton, Molesley (Scott - 33), Williams, Roberts, Stevenson, German.

Unused Substitutes: Thomas (GK), Richards.

Advertisement block