Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 27/09/2014

27 September 2014

Attendance: 1,202 (367)

Rovers made it five wins in a row as they defeated Southport 0-1 at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.

Jake Gosling’s 13th minute curled effort proved to be the deciding factor sending Rovers back to the West Country with all three points.

Darrell made one change to the starting 11 that defeated Woking at the Memorial Stadium, bringing Neal Trotman back into the team at the expense of Daniel Leadbitter.

Rovers continued their run of scoring early in matches as Jake Gosling opened the scoring inside 15 minutes.

Following great link up play between Adam Cunnington and Matty Taylor, Gosling found himself free on the edge of the Southport penalty area and curled the ball pass a rooted David Raya-Martin off the underside of the cross bar.

Matty Taylor twice had the chance to extend Rovers lead but twice headed wide of the goal. Stuart Sinclair also had a long-range effort, which didn’t test the Port keeper.

Southport offered little offensively in the first period as Stephen Brogan floated a ball into the far post, which was cleared behind by Tom Parkes and Rovers easily, dealt with the following corner.

The home side did get the ball in the back of the net just before half time, however referee Robert Jones disallowed the goal after a foul on Steve Mildenhall.

Southport started the brighter in the second half and potentially should have pulled the game level.

Ross Dyer latched onto a mistake by the Rovers back line and rounded an outrushing Steve Mildenhall. Luckily for Rovers, Mildenhall forced him very wide and Tom Parkes was able to clear the eventual cross.

Opportunities for the visitors were restricted in the second half but a rare effort fell to Ollie Clarke.

Substitutes Ellis Harrison and Ollie Clarke combined before Clarke lashed a shot from distance that went narrowly wide of the keeper’s right hand post with Raya-Martin at full stretch.

Rovers had Steve Mildenhall to thank for keeping them in front with 10 minutes remaining.

Southport piled on the pressure in an attempt to tie the game when Dominic Collins jumped highest to head a Paul Rutherford cross before being denied acrobatically by Mildenhall.

The visitors had two penalty claims turned down by referee Robert Jones but the Gas held on to make it five wins in a row.

Rovers face another away trip on Tuesday night as they travel to Ten Acres to take on Eastleigh before returning to the Memorial Stadium to entertain Dover on Saturday (4th October).

Southport: Raya-Martin, Challoner, Collins, McDonald (Marsden – 75), Foster, Lynch (Fitzpatrick – 64), George, Kay (Rutherford – 64), Brogan, Brodie, Dyer.

Unused Substitutes: Smith, Connor.

Rovers: Mildenhall, Lockyer, Trotman, Parkes, Brown, Gosling (Clarke – 54), Sinclair, Mansell (C), Martin (McChrystal – 82), Taylor, Cunnington (Harrison – 60).

Unused Substitutes: Puddy, White.

Advertisement block