Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


29 March 2014

A look at today's opponents

Bristol Rovers host Lancashire seaside team Morecambe for just their third visit to the Mem. Each side has won one game in these ties so far. Currently the Lancashire side are five points and five positions above Rovers.

On Tuesday evening Jim Bentley’s team went down 1-0 at Chesterfield. The only goal of the game was scored on 19 minutes by Jay O'Shea.
Earlier the Irish winger went close to creating an opener for Eoin Doyle, who fired wide. Doyle, eager to make amends, set up O’Shea for the breakthrough with a precise delivery which the winger headed back across Barry Roche. 

The goal seemed to have the desired effect as the hosts settled into their passing game. Ryan and Sam Morsy had a growing impact. Morecambe's Ryan Williams tested keeper Tommy Lee with two free-kicks. 

Shrimps keeper Roche saved well from Doyle before also denying Jimmy Ryan, while Sam Morsy bent one effort wide and hit the crossbar with another.

Chesterfield's first win in three matches saw them stay in the automatic promotion places, six points above Fleetwood in fourth place, while 15th placed Morecambe have now gone four games without a win. 

Speaking after the game the Shrimpers Jim Bentley said, "We said before the game that it was going to be tough. I thought they would win the league, and whether they do or they don't, I still think they'll win automatic promotion.

"We were beaten by the better side, but we weren't steamrolled. We gave it our all and we've got to do that between now and the end of the season. We played some all right stuff at times and while it was 1-0 you could sense a bit of nervous edge in the crowd but credit to them, they deserved the win”

Two years ago Rovers secured a 2-1 home victory. Lee Brown opened the scoring, 12 minutes after half time, tapping in an Eliot Richards cross that was touched on by Scott McGleish. 

With 15 minutes left to play McGleish tucked away a penalty awarded after Danny Carlton tugged Matthew Lund's shirt. Jordan Burrows then missed a chance for the Shrimps but Kevin Ellison fired in the rebound in the 88th minute to leave a tense 10 minutes of added time.

Last season the Shrimpers had their revenge with a devastating 10 minute spell of scoring. A dull game burst into life seven minutes after half time, Gary McDonald started things off for the away side, skipping past as two Rovers defenders stood off, and slotting the ball into the back of the net from inside the box.

Just five minutes later Rovers were stunned again when a Tom Parkes mistake allowed Nick Fenton to make it 2-0. Rovers were left with a mountain to climb as a further five minutes later Kevin Ellison again exposed the Rovers defence and slotted the ball into the bottom corner

Written by Gerry Prewett

Advertisement block