Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Draw at Cirencester

8 July 2014

Lawson D'Ath on target in draw

Cirencester Town 1
Williams (78)

Bristol Rovers XI 1
(D’Ath, 59)

A Rovers XI drew with Cirencester Town at the Corinium Stadium tonight, with Lawson D’Ath giving them the lead on 59 minutes, only for Ed Williams to equalise for the home side with 12 minutes remaining.

It was a good work out for a side that few Rovers fans would recognise, but it remains to be seen if any of the triallists on view tonight have done enough to earn themselves a contract.

The home side enjoyed the better of the first half, though Rovers were stronger after the break.

Rovers fielded a team made up of triallists and first year pros.

Goalkeeper Craig Ross is a former Cambridge United shot stopper, and the other triallists, with their former clubs in brackets, are; Ryan Higgins (Birmingham), Pierce Mitchell (Bristol City), Danny Haile (Hartpury 
College), Jonathan Brown (Hereford), Lawson D’Ath (Reading/Dagenham), Lewis Taaffe (Concorde Rangers), Lewis Rankin and Jordan Forrester (Coventry).

The home side were quick to settle and went close on seven minutes when striker Aidan Bennett saw his shot drift just wide of the upright.

Goalkeeper Craig Ross was called into action four minutes later, saving a low shot from Leigh Henry.

Rovers first chance fell to Jonathan Brown, who won possession midway inside the Cirencester half and headed for goal before hitting a shot high over the bar.

There was another opportunity for the home side on the half hour mark, but Jamie Edge saw his close range effort safely gathered by Ross.

Two minutes later a mistake by Ryan Higgins let in Bennett who saw his ferocious drive well saved by Ross.

Home goalkeeper Glyn Garner was called into action for the first time with five minutes of the half remaining and he did well to save a shot from Jamie Lucas with his legs.

Shortly afterwards Dominic Thomas went close with a long range effort that just cleared the bar.

Rovers made two half time substitutions with Aaron Ward-Baptiste replacing Lewis Rankin and Jordan Forrester coming on for Lewis Rankin.

Home substitute Shane Bunfrey hit the crossbar with a close range header on 55 minutes.

Rovers then went close to scoring themselves and Ward-Baptiste saw his fierce drive saved by Garner.

Just before the hour mark, though Rovers did get on the score sheet when Ward-Baptiste got free down the right and picked out Lawson D’Ath in the area and he calmly beat Garner from ten yards.

The home side fashioned an equaliser on 78 minutes when Ed Williams broke clear and calmly lobbed the ball over Kane Manning as he came off his line.

Rovers: Craig Ross (Kane Manning, 55), Ryan Higgins, Pierce Mitchell, Danny Haile, Danny Greenslade, Dominic Thomas, Jonathan Brown (Aaron Ward-Baptiste, 46), Lawson D’Ath, Lewis Rankin (Jordan Forrester, 46), Jamie Lucas, Lewis Taaffe

Advertisement block