Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Rovers 3-1 Newport

25 January 2014

A goal from Kaid Mohamed on his Bristol Rovers debut helped The Pirates pick up all three points at the Memorial Stadium this afternoon.

The loan signing opened the scoring in the first half, and Eliot Richards popped up to double Rovers’ lead just after the break.

Newport pulled one back minutes later, but John-Joe O’Toole wrapped things up just before the final whistle, making it 3-1.

The weather played a massive part in the first half, with swirling gales and heavy rain showers battering the Memorial Stadium.

Both teams tried to get the ball down and play, but the conditions made it extremely difficult, and at one point, a Newport goal kick was whipped straight back for a corner.

John Ward made two changes to the side that drew with York last weekend.

Kaid Mohamed came into the side to make his debut after signing on loan from Port Vale in midweek.

Chris Beardsley also started up front, replacing Matt Harrold, who took a knock during that game against York.

The first chance of the game fell to John-Joe O’Toole, whose left footed shot went wide of the far upright.

An attacking long throw from Michael Smith was taken by the wind across the face of goal, but the ball evaded everyone.

Kaid Mohamed had a great chance to open the scoring for Rovers after he made a good run into the box, but his shot sailed past the upright, and as Rovers tried to find an opener, Chris Beardsley headed over after a good ball in from Brown.

Newport then had a chance to take the lead, but the shot into the box from former Pirate David Pipe hit another former Gas man, Rene Howe, who miskicked the ball and lost his footing.

At the other end a volley from Mohamed was blocked out for corner.

Then Rovers had to withstand a period of pressure from the visitors. Rene Howe’s shot from 20 yards was touched onto the bar by Mildenhall.

Then the Rovers keeper pulled off a great one handed save, to deny Lee Minshull from a tight angle.

And it was added time when Rovers got their break through. Mohamed popped up with some clinical finishing to give Rovers the lead on the stroke of half time.

The lively forward did well to turn and fire into the back of the net after a blocked shot from Clarke found its way into his path.

It was an attacking start after the break from both teams. Newport had an effort from Howe blocked, before Mohamed made a great run on the counter attack for Rovers. At the other end Burgess then had a shot blocked by the Rovers defence.

But it was Rovers who made the best of the bright start to the half, and Richards scored a great goal to double Rovers’ lead.

The Welsh man shot low into the bottom corner after just three minutes of the second period.

Newport then pulled a goal back through Rene Howe, who was unmarked and had time to side foot past Mildenhall.

Eliot Richards was then forced to leave the field after appearing to have hurt his hamstring.

Before Mitch Harding could come on to replace him, there was a let off for Rovers as a header from Minshull hit the post from a free kick.

There was some good defending from Rovers as Newport searched for an equaliser as time ticked away.

But John-Joe O’Toole wrapped it up for Rovers scoring the third goal for the Pirates. He picked up the ball on the edge of the box and curled the ball past the keeper into the back of the net.

In the dying minutes, substitute Ellis Harrison let a wild shot fly over the bar deep into added time. 

Rovers: Steve Mildenhall, Michael Smith, Tom Parkes, Mark McChrystal, Lee Brown, Eliot Richards (Mitch Harding), Tom Lockyer, Ollie Clarke, John-Joe O’Toole, Chris Beardsley (Ellis Harrison), Kaid Mohamed (Danny Woodards).

Substitutes: Danny Woodards, David Clarkson, Ollie Norburn, Ellis Harrison, Mitch Harding, Conor Gough, Alefe Santos

Newport County: Lenny Pidgeley, Ryan Jackson, Harry Worley, Tom Naylor, Andy Sandell (Andrew Hughes), Robbie Willmott, David Pipe, Ryan Burge, Lee Minshull (Max Porter), Christian Jolley, Rene Howe.

Substitutes: Jamie Stephens, Andrew Hughes, Max Porter, Tony James, Mike Flynn.

Advertisement block