Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


24 September 2013

Clucas, Norburn and Harrison on the scoresheet

Bristol Rovers 3
Clucas (15), Norburn (31), Harrison (57)

Cirencester Town 1
Dunton (56)

Rovers eased past Cirencester Town in the first round of the GFA Senior Challenge Cup at the Memorial Stadium this evening and will now travel to play Yate Town in the next round.

Seanan Clucas returned to action, taking his place in a midfield three alongside Matt Gill and Ollie Norburn and he opened the scoring after only 15 minutes.

He was joined on the scoresheet by Ollie Norburn and Ellis Harrison, while Ellis Dunton scored what proved to be a consolation goal for the visitors.

Rovers forced two early corners, both of which were cleared but it wasn’t long before they fashioned their first opportunity of the evening, Ellis Harrison heading just over from an Alefe Santos cross.

Clucas went close to opening the scoring on 12 minutes when he met Jake Green’s cross from the left and headed just over.

The midfielder did score three minutes later following a sweeping move down the right. Alefe Santos picked out Harrison’s run and he in turn squared the ball into Clucas who swept the ball into the net from just inside the box.

The visitors, who had been under almost constant pressure, forced a corner midway through the first half which was comfortably cleared.

Santos tried an ambitious effort from some 35 yards out which cleared the bar as Rovers went in search of another goal.

Another attack by the visitors ended with Dan Roberts firing well wide of the target.

However Rovers added a second goal on 31 minutes following Harrison’s run down the left. His ball inside found Clucas and he played in Ollie Norburn who rifled the ball into the net from 12 yards.

There was another chance for Rovers just before the break, but Cirencester goalkeeper Glyn Garner saved a close range effort from Shaquille Hunter with his legs.

Harrison’s shot on the turn, early in the second half, was comfortably saved by Garner.

The youngster created another opportunity shortly afterwards, rifling a powerful left foot effort over the bar.

Gough was then called into action for the first time and he did well to touch Leigh Henry’s free kick behind. However the visitors scored from the resulting corner, Ellis Dunton bundled the ball in at the far post.

Within a minute Rovers restored their two goal advantage when Harrison headed in from Hunter’s cross.

Cirencester almost rewarded with another goal on 65 minutes when Dan Hill curled a shot just over and a Jody Bevan volley moments later met the same fate.

Rovers then went close through Jordan Goddard, who fired wide while Pat Keary’s 30 yard run ended with his shot narrowly missing the target.

Bristol Rovers: Conor Gough, Josh Southway, Pat Keary, Trey Anderson, Jake Green, Matt Gill, Ollie Norburn, Seanan Clucas (Jordan Goddard, 60), Alefe Santos, Ellis Harrison (Aaron Ward-Baptiste, 86), Shaquille Hunter (Danny Greenslade,71).

Substitutes: Dominic Thomas, Kieran Preston

Cirencester Town: Glyn Garner, James Mortimer-Jones, Ellis Dunton, Dan Roberts, Jon Beedon, Leigh Henry, Joe Shephard, Dean Bromley, Jody Bevan, Steve Davies, Dan Hill.

Substitutes: Aarron Perry, Aiden Bennett, Tom JehuCup win for Rovers

Advertisement block