Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


5 November 2013

Camberley 1-2 Rovers

Our youth team won through to the second round of the FA Youth Cup last night, beating Camberley 2-1 after extra time.

Laurent Davis-Wilson and Chad Douglas scored the goals that saw Rovers through and they now face an away tie against Shrewsbury in the second round.

Youth Team manager Alan Walsh was pleased to get through to the next round after a difficult tie.

“It wasn’t a comfortable win at all and Camberley can take great credit from the way they played. Tom Curtis and I watched them against Guildford in the previous round, and warned our boys that they faced a difficult game and had to be mentally prepared for the challenge facing them.

“We put in a battling performance on a difficult surface and there were times when we found it difficult to adapt our game to suit the conditions.

“We created a couple of good chances in the first half, but were unable to take them, while Camberley tried to hit us on the counter attack and get balls in behind us for their very quick striker.

“It remained goalless at half time and I told the boys that we needed to be better technically, tactically, and physically in the second period.

“However the game followed a very similar pattern to the first, but with 15 minutes remaining we opened the scoring. 

“Jay Malpas swung in a free kick from the left found which found Laurent on the edge of the area. He controlled the ball before turning and hitting a short past the keeper into the far corner of the net.”

It wasn’t quite enough to win the game, though, as the homes die equalised with two minutes of normal time remaining.

“We gave away a free kick on the edge of our area and the shot was deflected off the wall and into the net to send the tie into extra time.

“I asked the boys to dig in and show a bit of character in that extra half an hour, as the impetus was with Camberley following that late goal.

“To be fair, they heeded that advice and we were the better side for those thirty minutes and looked the side most likely to break the deadlock.

“It wasn’t until five minutes before the final whistle that we scored the all-important goal, though.

“A long ball forward by the home side reached Kieran Preston and he controlled it and took it some twenty yards outside his area before launching it forwards. Their central defender misjudged it and it bounced over his head and that of the goalkeeper, who had come off his line to clear. Chad nipped in ahead of the covering defenders and scrambled it into the net. 

Team: Kieran Preston, Mitch Palmer, Louis Ezwele, Trey Anderson, Danny Greenslade. Jay Malpas (Aaron Bryan, 110), Ryan Broom (Olly Mehew, 110), Dominic Thomas, Laurent Davis-Wilson, Aaron Ward-Baptiste (Chad Douglas, 60), Jamie Lucas

Substitute: Marcus Beauchamp

Advertisement block