Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/11/2013

8 November 2013

Rovers 3-3 York
Rovers will travel to York for an FA Cup first round replay after drawing an entertaining game 3-3 at the Memorial Stadium this evening.

Despite a quiet start, the game sprung to life after 30 minutes, and three goals in six minutes saw York go in at the break 2-1.

John Ward then made a game changing substitution bringing on Matt Harrold early in the second half, and the striker levelled the score with his first touch of the ball.

Rovers then went ahead for the first time, with Chris Beardsley scoring on his home debut, but with five minutes to go York equalised to take the game to replay. 

The manager made two enforced changes to the side that won 1-0 at Oxford last weekend.

Lee Brown returned from injury at left back, with Tom Lockyer moving into the centre of defence to replace Will Packwood, whose parent club did not allowed him to play.

Oli Norburn came in to the side to replace John-Joe O'Toole who was suspended for tonight's game.

It was the first ever FA Cup meeting between the two teams and the first 30 minutes passed by without any major incidents.

There was a half chance for Rovers when a ball into the box from Smith was chested down by Eliot Richards to Chris Beardsley, but the strikers’ shot rose high over the bar from the edge of the area.

Rovers were given a let off at the other end when a York free kick was allowed to bounce in the area, but defender Daniel Parslow helped the ball past the post.

On 25 minutes Ollie Clarke let fly with a left foot shot from 30 yards out and the ball swerved away from the keeper and smashed against the bar.

Then the game came to life with three goals in six minutes.

York City took the lead after it looked as if Chris Smith fouled Steve Mildenhall as he tried to get on the end of a free kick.

That collision allowed Ryan Jarvis to bundle the ball into the back of an empty net.

It was a great response from Rovers just three minutes later. Oli Norburn got the ball through to Richards in a packed penalty area, and the striker finished beautifully from 10 yards.

But on 40 minutes York retook the lead through a fantastic effort from Josh Carson, whose volley from 30 yards flew over Mildenhall and into the back of the net.

There was a great block from Tom Parkes to deny Jarvis his second just before the break.

John Ward made an attacking substitution on 57 minutes, brining on Matt Harrold to replace Oli Norburn.

And the striker had an instant impact scoring with his first touch of the game to bring Rovers back on level terms.

He got on the end of a Lee Brown free kick and headed into the back of the net.

Ollie Clarke then had a chance to put Rovers in front. Beardsley played the ball in to Harrold who laid the ball off well, but the midfielder dragged his shot wide.

As Rovers continued to push following the introduction of Harrold, a tame shot from Seanan Clucas was easily gathered by the keeper.

Brown then got on to the end of a Smith ball into the box, but he blazed his shot over from a tight angle on the edge of the box.

Rovers then took the lead for the first time, thanks to Chris Beardsley. The cross from Smith found the on loan striker who headed home past the keeper.

Ryan Bowman then attempted an equaliser for York, shooting from 30 yards, but he ball fired into the side netting.

With seven minutes to go Ryan Brunt came on for Chris Beardsley.

York equalised with five minutes to go, after Mildenhall was unable to deal with a cross from the visitors. Wes Fletcher was able to slot home from close range.

Both teams then pushed for a winner in the final minutes, but the final whistle went and both teams will be in the hat for the second round.
John Ward has made two changes to the starting XI for tonight's FA Cup clash with York.

Lee Brown returns from injury at left back, with Tom Lockyer moving into the centre of defence to replace Will Packwood, whose parent club have not allowed him to play.

Oli Norburn comes in to the side to replace John-Joe O'Toole who is suspended for tonight's game.

Matt Harrold also returns from injury to take a place on the bench alongside David Clarkson who has finished his suspension.

Rovers: Steve Mildenhall, Michael Smith, Tom Lockyer, Tom Parkes, Lee Brown, Seanan Clucas, Ollie Clarke, Oli Norburn (Matt Harrold), Alefe Santos, Eliot Richards, Chris Beardsley (Ryan Brunt).

Substitutes:Ellis Harrison, Conor Gough, Pat Keary, Josh Southway, David Clarkson

York: Michael Ingham, Larne Oyebanjo, Chris Smith, Daniel Parslow, Jamal Fyfield, Josh Carson, Tom Platt, Elliott Whitehouse, Ryan Jarvis (Wes Fletcher), Sander Puri (Ryan Brobbel), Ryan Bowman (Richard Creswell).

Substitutes: Chris Kettings, Craig Clay, Ashley Chambers, Richard Cresswell, Tom Allan.

Advertisement block