Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 March 2013

Rovers were forced to share the points with relegation threatened York City at the Memorial Stadium this afternoon.

The game, which will not be remembered as a classic, ended 0-0 after neither team were able to hit the back of the net.

Chances were few and far between throughout the game with York defending deep, but Rovers’ keeper Steve Mildenhall was handed the Man of the Match award for a couple of class saves that kept Rovers in the game.

John Ward made one change to the side that beat Rochdale at the Memorial Stadium two weeks ago.

Joe Anyinsah returned from his hamstring injury to regain a place in the starting XI, replacing Jim Paterson, who dropped to the bench.

It was a quiet first half with Rovers enjoying the majority of the possession.

York rarely troubled the Rovers goal, following a mix up in the Rovers’ penalty area in first few minutes.

Rovers first effort came in the form of a header from Ryan Brunt, which was saved by York keeper Michael Ingham.

Shortly after the York keeper was called upon to make another save, before Eliot Richards saw his shot deflected out for a corner.

Rovers were handed an opportunity to open the scoring when Ingham raced away from his goal. Brunt put a ball in from the left, but there was no one in the box to slot the ball home.

York then found themselves on the break, but on loan striker Richard Creswell sliced his shot across the face of goal.

At the other end Richards shot into the side netting, and moments later Lee Brown put a good cross into the box and the Welsh striker blasted over the bar from close range.

Brunt had a volley from just outside the box saved by the keeper, before York had their best chance of the half when Tom Platt forced Mildenhall to push the ball round the post.

York had a free kick early in the second half after a foul from Tom Parkes, but Ashley Chambers blasted the ball over the bar.

The manager made an early change, bringing on Fabian Broghammer to replace Ellis Harrison ten minutes in to the second half.

The fresh legs seemed to help and Rovers looked more dangerous going forward after the change was made. 

A cross out wide from York could have led to better things, but Mildenhall produced another good save to tip the ball round the post.

With just over 20 minutes of the game left to play, Adam Reed had a shot for the visitors, before John Ward made another change, bringing Oumare Tounkara on to replace Brunt.

Mildenhall then pulled off a brilliant reaction save to deny Chris Williams, who shot form 12 yards through a crowded penalty area.

With ten minutes left on the clock Rovers were pushing for a winner, and the manager made his final change, bringing on Tom Hitchcock to replace Richards.

Joe Anyinsah shot wide of the post from outside of the area, before Mildenhall pulled off another fantastic save, stopping a 25 yard effort from Michael Coulson that looked set to hit the top corner.

Next up Rovers travel to Dagenham and Redbridge on Monday to complete their Easter schedule.

Bristol Rovers: Steve Mildenhall, Michael Smith, Tom Parkes, Mark McChrystal, Lee Brown, Joe Anyinsah, Danny Woodards, John-Joe O’Toole, Ellis Harrison (Fabian Broghammer), Ryan Brunt (Oumare Tounkara), Eliot Richards (Tom Hitchcock).

Substitutes: Clayton McDonald, Conor Gough, Jim Paterson, Ollie Clarke.

York: Michael Ingham, Chris Smith, David McGurk, Daniel Parslow, Josh Carson, Jack O'Connell, Lanre Oyebanjo, Tom Platt, Adam Reed, Ashley Chambers, Richard Creswell.

Substitutes: Arron Jameson, Jason Walker, Michael Coulson, David McDaid, Matty Blair, Patrick McLaughlin, Jamal Fyfield.

Referee: Sean Whitestone

Advertisement block