Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 March 2013

Rovers ease through GFA Cup tie

Bristol Rovers 4
McDonald (11), Goddard (19), Tounkara (44), Hitchcock (81)

Yate Town 0

Rovers took on Yate Town in the Gloucestershire FA Challenge Cup Quarter Final at the Memorial Stadium this evening.

First half goals from Clayton McDonald, Jordan Goddard and Oumare Tounkara gave them the upper hand in a fairly one sided first half.

Although Yate enjoyed a little bit more possession after the break, they conceded again nine minutes from time when Tom Hitchcock comfortably beat goalkeeper Josh Dempsey.

A number of players with first team experience were in a strong squad that included Jim Paterson, Tounkare and McDonald. 

Having enjoyed a great deal of early possession Rovers took an 11th minute lead. A corner from the right was cleared to the edge of the area where Tom Lockyer picked up the loose ball and knocked it to the back post where McDonald comfortably headed past goalkeeper Josh Dempsey.

Tounkara headed over the bar as Rovers continued to control the game, but it was Jordan Goddard who added the second goal, on 19 minutes.

A Fabian Broghammer shot was blocked and the ball fell kindly to the young midfielder who knocked it past Dempsey with the outside of his right foot.

Broghammer was just wide with a free kick and Mitch Harding missed an opportunity to increase the lead, while Tounkara hit a shot straight at Dempsey.

However the Frenchman did get on the scoresheet in the final minute of the half, taking advantage of some hesitancy in the Yate defence and walking the ball into the net following a long ball forward.

The visitors fashioned the first chance of the second half and Jake Cox was only just wide with a shot from inside the area.

It was 20 minutes before Rovers first opportunity of the half and they were denied a fourth goal by Dempsey.

The keeper dived low to his right to touch a shot from substitute Alefe Santos round the post. The fourth goal finally arrived on 81 minutes when Hitchcock ran on to a McDonald through ball to beat Dempsey from 12 yards.

It should have been five, as Hitchcock was brought down by Cox in the area five minutes from time, but Harding’s spot kick was touched round the post by Dempsey.

The goalkeeper did well to make a fine double save from Hitchcock and Ross Staley before the final whistle, but it was a comfortable win for Rovers on the night.

Bristol Rovers: Conor Gough, Ross Staley, Jim Paterson, Clayton McDonald, Tom Lockyer (Pat Keary, 70), Ollie Clarke, Jordan Goddard, Mitch Harding, Fabian Broghammer (Alefe Santos, 60), Tom Hitchcock, Oumare Tounkara (Jamie Lucas, 75)

Substitutes: Josh Southway, Matt Macey

Yate Town: Josh Dempsey, Tom Seery (Ryan Dunn, 46), Ollie Barnes (Rob Cousins, 55), Jordan Greenwood, Scott Thomas, Harley Purnell, Danny Wring (Karim Kendall, 46), Scott Cousins, Scott Robson, Ibu Sarr, Jake Cox

Advertisement block