Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 July 2013

Rovers 0-2 Derby

Rovers were beaten 2-0 by a strong Derby County side at the Memorial Stadium this evening.

A goal either side of the break was enough for the Championship side to claim victory in this pre-season game.

Jamie Ward opened the scoring just after the 20 minute mark through a free kick, before Johnny Russell doubled the visitor’s lead in the second half.

Derby had the first effort of the game on just two minutes, when midfielder Will Hughes fired from 20 yards out, but the ball sailed just right of the right upright as Mildenhall dived for it. 

Then Dave Clakson had the first chance for Rovers. The cross from Harrison was cleared only as far as the Scot at the near post, whose shot was cleared off the line.

Derby then had another couple of shots, including an off target strike from Chris Martin from distance and a long distance effort from dangerman Hughes.

At the other end a deflected ball found itself at the feet of Matt Harrold, but he was only able to scuff the ball straight at Derby keeper Lee Grant

Then Derby took the lead through a 30 yard free kick. Jamie Ward struck a fierce shot that squeezed past the diving Steve Midlenhall and into the corner of the net.

Mildenhall was then called upon to save a low shot from Craig Bryson as Derby attempted to double their lead.

The visitors continued to pile on the pressure, and Paul Coutts put a low cross across the face of goal that just evaded the stretching Johnny Russell.

Craig Bryson then hit the cross bar from 18 yards after getting on the end of a ball from Russell, as the Rams pushed for another goal.

Rovers defence worked hard, and McChrystal and Smith combine well in defence to block Ward in the penalty box.

On the stroke of half time Clarkson hit an ambitious shot from just inside the half, which keeper Lee Grant caught on his line.

Early in the second half Lee Brown took a free kick from 22 yards out that evaded everyone in the box and went wide of the far post.

Derby doubled their lead on 52 minutes when a deflected shot from Jamie Ward landed at the feet of Johnny Russell in the six yard box, who fired past Mildenhall.

Minutes later the Rovers keeper was called in to action again, this time to save a low shot from Ward.

Coutts then had a shot from the edge of the box which forced a save from Mildenhall as Derby continued to dominate the game.

At the other end Harrold forced a save from the keeper from a tight angle on the line.

Rovers made a flurry of substitutions, bringing on some young legs, but the away side continued to have the upper hand and saw out the rest of the game on top.

Bristol Rovers: Steve Mildenhall, Michael Smith, Mark McChrystal, Tom Parkes, Lee Brown, Eliot Richards (Shaquille Hunter), Ollie Norburn (Jordan Goddard), Ollie Clarke (Tom Lockyer), Ellis Harrison (Alefe Santos), David Clarkson (Josh Southway), Matt Harrold (Mitch Harding).

Substitutes: Conor Gough, Pat Keary, George Rigg.

Derby County:  Lee Grant, John Brayford, Jake Buxton, Richard Keogh, Craig Forsyth, Paul Coutts (John Eustace), Craig Bryson (John Eustace), Will Hughes, Jamie Ward (Jeff Hendrick), Chris Martin (Conor Sammon), Johnny Russell (Ben Davies)

Substitutes: Adam Legzdins, Michael Jacobs, Mason Bennett, Michael Hoganson, Valentin Gjokaj

Advertisement block