Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 16/02/2013

16 February 2013

A single first half goal from Ryan Brunt was enough to give Rovers all three points this afternoon, and extend their unbeaten run to six games.

It was a hard fought victory, and Rovers survived a last minute goalmouth scramble to secure the win and pick up another clean sheet.

The win saw Rovers move out of the bottom six for the first time this season.

Manager John Ward made one change to the side that beat Oxford United last weekend, with Fabian Broghammer coming in to replace Danny Woodards. Former Gas striker Jo Kuffour lined up for the opposition.

Wycombe had most of the possession in the opening exchanges, but there were few opportunities of note for either side in the first half an hour.

Brunt could have opened the scoring within the first ten minutes after getting on to the end of a Broghammer cross, but his shot was easily gathered by the Wycombe keeper.

Broghammer also had a chance that went wide, while at the other end Steve Mildenhall was called upon to make a couple of easy saves.

Then Rovers took the lead. Joe Anyinsah crossed the ball into the box and into the path of Brunt who volleyed the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

The goal gave Rovers added confidence, and captain Tom Parkes tried a cheeky shot from inside his own half that flew well over the bar.

A Lee Brown shot from the left was caught by the Wanderers keeper, before John-Joe O’Toole sent a shot fizzing just wide of the upright just before the half time break.

Rovers came out with a greater attacking intent in the second half, and both sides created chances after the break.

A shot from Broghammer was forced high and wide by the Wycombe defence, before Oli Norburn shot wide from the edge of the area.

O’Toole then saw his volleyed shot go narrowly past the post from just inside the area.

Jo Kuffour was the danger man for the visitors, and he tested Mildenhall on a number of occasions in the second half.

And Wycombe thought they should have been awarded a penalty when Kuffour got caught up with Michael Smith inside the box.

Wycombe sought hard for an equaliser in the final period of the game, and Rovers were handed a let off when the visitors failed to capitalise on a goalmouth scramble after a Michael Harriman cross flew across the face of goal.

Bristol Rovers: Steve Mildenhall, Michael Smith, Tom Parkes, Mark McChrystal, Lee Brown, Fabian Broghammer (Clayton McDonald), Seanan Clucas, Oliver Norburn (David Clarkson), John-Joe O'Toole, Joe Anyinsah (Eliot Richards), Ryan Brunt.

Substitutes: Conor Gough, Danny Woodards, Ellis Harrison, Tom Hitchcock

Wycombe Wanderers: Jordan Archer, Dave Winfiled, Charles Dunne, Michael Harriman, Anthony Stewart, Stuart Lewis, Sam Wood, Joel Grant (Dean Morgan), Marvin McCoy (Matt Spring), Matt McClure (Dennis Oli), Jo Kuffour

Substitutes: Lee Harrison, Leon Johnson, Gareth Ainsworth, Kortney Hause.

Referee: Mick Russell.

Advertisement block