Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Rovers v Scunthorpe

10 August 2013

Rovers were forced to settle for a point against Scunthorpe United in a goalless draw at the Memorial Stadium this afternoon.

Both sides played some good periods of football throughout the game, but were unable to find the back of the net.

It was a hard working performance from Rovers, who lost captain Tom Parkes early on after he was knocked unconscious.

John Ward named an unchanged side from the team that lost to Watford on Tuesday night, with John-Joe O’Toole playing as a second striker behind Eliot Richards. 17-year-old Jamie Lucas filled the final place on the bench after recovering from injury.

There was some good early pressure from Rovers, who passed the ball around well in the opening stages.

David Clarkson made a good break down the left, but his shot from 25 yards was deflected wide of the upright.

Then Rovers suffered the blow of losing Parkes who was stretchered off. He was replaced by Alefe Santos, which saw Tom Lockyer move to defence and Clarkson to move to the centre of midfield.

Eddie Nolan fired over for the visitors after trying an ambitious acrobatic attempt.

Harrison provided a great cross from the right, but substitute Santos could not quite control the ball.

Scunthorpe then just had their first real chance of the game; Niall Canavan headed the ball to Sam Winnall who hit the post from an acute angle.

Another good run down the right from Harrison, found Clarkson who side footed the ball wide of the post.

Scunthorpe upped the tempo before the break, and had a couple of chances to take the lead. Micahel Smith pulled off a goal line clearance to deny Scunthorpe a real clear cut chance.

Terry Hawkridge then hit the post as the visitors piled on the pressure.

After the break Eliot Richards sliced a ball wide from inside the box, before Scunthorpe tested Mildenhall.

The keeper tipped a glancing header from Deon Burton over the bar; the resulting corner produced a goalmouth scramble, but Rovers were able to clear to safety.

Richards again combined well with Harrison, but the resulting shot went wide of the post.

Rovers survived an penalty appeal when Hawkridge went down following a collision in the penalty area, but his claims for a spot kick were waved away.

Meanwhile Michael Collins saw a dipping shot sail over the bar for Scunthorpe, before McAllister was fouled on edge of the area. The resulting free kick from Hawkridge went narrowly wide.

As the minutes ticked on, Smith had a shot from distance that went wide, before Richards skied a close range shot after getting on the end of a ball from Harrison.

A cross from Lee Brown from the byline, found Harrison who leapt high and headed the ball over the bar.

Both sides continued to work hard until the final whistle, but the final ball was missing.

Bristol Rovers: Steve Mildenhall, Lee Brown, Mark McChrystal, Tom Parkes (Alefe Santos), Michael Smith, Ellis Harrison (Shaquille Hunter), Oliver Norburn, John-Joe O'Toole, Tom Lockyer, Eliot Richards, David Clarkson (Mitch Harding).

Substitutes: Conor Gough, Pat Keary, Josh Southway, Jamie Lucas.

Scunthorpe: Sam Slocombe, Christian Ribeiro, David Mirfin, Niall Canavan, Eddie Nolan, Terry Hawkridge (Andy Welsh), Matt Sparrow, Michael Collins, Sean McAllister, Sam Winnall (Matt Godden), Deon Burton (Chris Iwelumo).

Substitutes: James Severn, Luke Waterfall, Callum Howe, Jordan Clark

Advertisement block