Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 April 2013

Manager's thoughts on latest win

Having seen his side score four goals away from home and take all three points with a 4-2 win against Dagenham & Redbridge, manager John Ward declared himself delighted with the afternoon’s work.

“It was especially pleasing, as it came 48 hours after we had put in a great deal of effort against York but had to settle for a draw.

“I think the win is testimony to the backroom staff as well as the players that we have, because we have really high fitness levels in the squad.”

His side were certainly quick out of the blocks, scoring three goals in the opening 20 minutes.

“We tried to start the game at a high tempo and get an early goal.”

After handing Oumare Tounkare his first start he saw the striker score twice and come close to recording a hat trick.

“I wasn’t certain that he could get through ninety minutes, as he hasn’t done that in recent months, but we knew that he would be a threat with his power.

“It was a really strong performance from Oumare and he did have the chance to score a hat trick near the end of the game but tried to set up Ryan Brunt, which shows how unselfish he is.

“He has an awareness as well, and is a very interesting player. He was still chasing down balls as the end of the game approached.

“His presence helped Ryan Brunt, as it meant he wasn’t the lead guy and he showed some really good touches playing in just behind Oumare.”

Oumare’s presence lifted the team.

“It did, and to score three goals so quickly was good.

“We still had to go on to win it and while we were a little bit naieve at times, it was an excellent win.”

The manager had to make a late change, as goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall was replaced in goal by Conor Gough.

“Steve was preparing in the warm up and injured his ankle and he was very concerned about it when he came back into the dressing room. 

“We were able to make the change before kick off, but Conor didn’t really have time to consider the situation.”

The manager lost two more players during the game.

“We lost Lee Brown at half time as he was suffering from a little bit of double vision following a first half collision, and Michael Smith came off as he had felt unwell this morning but still wanted to play.

“The players are learning, very quickly, the ethics and the ethos of this football club and the guys here now are doing exactly the same as the players who were here in my first spell in charge, some twenty years ago.

“We run through whatever needs to be run through to try to win the game. They are a young group of players, but I have told them that if they stick together at this club they can have a really good time and get better together.”

Advertisement block